1753872 Members
7219 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Wire fault on BL460C NIC

RodAF
Occasional Contributor

Wire fault on BL460C NIC

I have a bl460c that has began reporting a wire fault and that the cable isn't connected. I have upgraded everything to the latest firmware. An HP Tech even came out and replaced the motherboard.

I have tried swapping the cat-5 out prior to that of course. I have even moved the blade to a different slot in the enclosure.

Any suggestions? It has to be something with the OS install?

vr,
Roderick
5 REPLIES 5
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Wire fault on BL460C NIC

Hi Roderick,

which OS is installed?
do you have teaming configured?

With win2003 there are some known issues with the drivers and teaming software.

regards
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Rod,

-> which type of Ethernet interconnect is this bl460c connected to ?

- Ethernet switch
- Ethernet pass-through module

-> Is the error intermittend or always ?

Kris
RodAF
Occasional Contributor

I am running Server 2003 x64, and using the ethernet pass-through on the back of the enclosure.

vr
Roderick
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Rod,

if possible, move the blade to another slot. This way you eliminate the port on the pass-through, the blade server bay connectors etc from being involved in the problem or (if not already done) uplink the pass-through port to another switchport in your network.

The pass through can only work at 1 GBit by design, make sure the issue is not in the switch where the pass-through connection goes to.

If a cable or port on the outside of the enclosure has an issue, the link for your blade server will go up and down and you'll see such messages.

HTH

Kris
RodAF
Occasional Contributor

I have tried moving the blade to another slot in the enclosure and still had the same issue.

This is a very odd problem and I can think of nothing else to do. Here's what I have tied so far:

- Moving blade to another slot in the encl
- Swapping the cable on both NICS
- Swapping the cable on the bad NIC
- Updating all firmware on balde HW
- Had a tech replace the motherboard

Anything I missed?

vr,
Roderick