1752782 Members
6600 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: bl460c G6 Uncorrectable Memory Errors

Dan Gonz├бlez
Occasional Advisor

The solution given was to change all memory modules on the sixteen blade servers on the enclosure. This in combination with BIOS, ILO, OA and VC firmware upgrades.

Since then no problem detected.

I think that, at the end, this was a problem with certain memory module batches, at least internally, recognized by HP.
Blade user
Occasional Advisor

Located problem on our Bl460c G6's to faulty batch of RAM as well. Ended up replacing 7 known faulty pieces.
Francesco Novelli
Occasional Advisor

Sorry for the long time elapsded, but due some contractual delay HP help desk started to be involved on this trouble only from 3 weeks.
HP techinicial asked me to update the all fw on a blade, the launch smartstart diagnostic and export the survey.
In the first blade checked there was errors on two dimms, they sent the new memory and after that the server seems ok.
I tried on another blade, same sequence, two dimms bad but when I exited the diagnostic and tried to boot esx, the server hanged in the scheduler step and I had to switch it of manually.
At new boot again system health led blinkng and another dimm displayed by ILO as faulty.
I reported this to the techincian and he sent me 3 dimms to change.
I did the change and after that the server hanged while booting SmartStart.
Again system health led blinkng and one of the new dimm displayed by ILO as faulty plus another one never reported as faulty before.
So I'm very doubtful about this solution, tomorrow a techinician from HP should come here with 2 new dimms.
...I have 24 blades I cannot imagine and end for this trouble :-I

Regards,
Francesco
DerekS_1
Frequent Advisor

Did you install the very latest BIOS, released in the last week? Has a LONG write on the laundry list of DIMM problems it fixes.
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

Have you got a reference, Derek? I've not found anything relevant.
Ted Steenvoorden

I am also experiencing problems with BL460c G6 blades and 2 GB Hynix DIMM's. These DIMMS are HP branded and also have a label with Hynix (Korea 07) 2Gb 2Rx8 PC3 - 10600E.

The BL460c G6 blades are running fine, but when I power off the blade, remove the blade from the C7000 enclosure and reinsert the blade in a C7000 enclosure the blade won't boot properly. The iLO screen stays black and the C7000 active cooling fan keeps running on full speed. After a while the IML log reports uncorrected memory errors on DIMMS.

Replacing the DIMMS corrects the problem, however this has happened to me with already 5 blades. We are currently reseating blades through multiple C7000 enclosures but I have stopped this project until this matter is clear. All DIMM's with errors are of type Hynix (Korea 07) 2Gb 2Rx8 PC3 - 10600E.

Can you check if you have trouble with the same type of memory DIMMS?
James D. Young
Frequent Advisor

I have been having the same issue but with BL490c G6 blades with HYNX memory installed. HP will have 288 modules to me tomorrow to replace all memory in all 16 of my ESX Servers. I was told by a HP tech many months ago that HP knows it is related to these modules. They did not question me when i asked for all my servers memory to be replaced with non HYNX memory.

I hope this will solve the problem that has been going on most of this year already. We have changed out many modules this year for the same Correctable or Uncorrectable problems.