1752307 Members
5240 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: bl460c marked "x" red & "Mgmt processor Failed" on device bay list

Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

One of the things I have seen which causes this behavior is having your management network (OA and ILO's) on the same network as your production traffic.

I would recommend making sure your network is segregated so that your mgmt network is either on a different physical network or is on a separate VLAN. In 95% of the cases it has resolved this problem.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Mark Bakker
Occasional Advisor

I've same problem with my BL460c, upgrade the system ROM to last firmware : BB130.2008_0822.11

I've already done 4 BL460c and there where no problem, the last one is marked "x" red & "Mgmt processor Failed" on device bay list.
The OA give no information.

Any one has an idea ?
Jon Ward
Trusted Contributor

Did you also upgrade the Integrated Lights-Out 2 firmware? I believe it is actually more critical in this context.
Mark Bakker
Occasional Advisor

IN the update BB130.2008_0822.11 is also the iLO 1.60 firmware.
I update the BL460c with an iso.
The OA has firmware 2.25.

(Is working witjh iLO 1.50) ;)

The Insight Display tels me there is a ilo2 failure. There was iLO 1.50 and so have 1.60.

Can I upgrade the iLO without conneting the iLO ?
Jon Ward
Trusted Contributor

There are online firmware update packages available. Goto http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html?pageDisplay=drivers , then type in iLO 2. The online update packages can be run from an operating system.
Mark Bakker
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
That is the problem, there is no Operating System installed on the Blade.

Mark Bakker
Occasional Advisor

I have caught a new blade, ordering from the same series and install the new firmware.
I saw that extracting told that the file was in the future.

I immediately stopped the process and have adjusted the date and time in the BIOS.

After that I reinstall the firmware update en this time is goes perfect !

I think that the BIOS date and time the problem was for the other Blade.

Mark Bakker
Occasional Advisor

I've put a screen shot from the OA.
There is no info from the blade and he wil not startup, even with a keyboard and monitor on the front.
Jon Ward
Trusted Contributor

The one issue I was involved with occurred before the firmware fix. The issue at that time could be bypassed by connecting the Onboard Administrator network connection to a dedicated management network (or more specifically, a separate management VLAN). Something on the general network was upsetting the OA or the iLO 2, causing communication failures.

If reseating the blade does not work; if attempting direct access to the blade does not work (as opposed through the OA), or if attempting to access the blade from another enclosure does not work, you may have to perform some network changes. It could be only temporary if desired. It could be as simple as introducing a hub or cheap switch to the OA and a laptop or as sophisticated as configuring VLANs on your managable switch to segregate the general network traffic from the OA/iLO 2.

Once you have at least direct web based access through the iLO 2 (not via the OA), you can use the .bin file within the operating system based firmware update utility to upgrade the firmware from the web interface itself, under the Administration tab. The firmware component package should give you the opportunity to click on "Extract" rather than "Install" on any workstation. (i.e. the Windows based component on a Windows based machine).
Jon Ward
Trusted Contributor

This issue can also occur if the iLO 2 network settings is set for DHCP instead of static or bay addressing, if there is no DHCP server available. That is because the iLO 2 will not have an address (no lease) and thus cannot communicate on the network to the OA or anywhere else.

If there is no DHCP server, the issue should be possible to correct using the SUVI dongle to connect a monitor, mouse, and keyboard to the front of the blade. The iLO 2 can be accessed through the F8 ROM Based Setup screen when prompted for the iLO 2 (other devices may also use F8 at different stages in POST).

The symptom would be immediate in this case rather than delayed in the other scenarios.