HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
BladeSystem - General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

c-7000 Blade BL460 clustering

indytoatl
Occasional Contributor

c-7000 Blade BL460 clustering

Anyone know where I can find best practice information about clustering Blade servers?
4 REPLIES
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: c-7000 Blade BL460 clustering

It should be the same as clustering regular standalone servers. You have the same requirements, heartbeat LAN and shared storage (SAN, iSCSI) etc. You may have to order additional hardware to accomodate these such as mezzanine HBAs on the blades and storage interconnect modules on the chassis for storage access. (SAN fiber access). For heartbeat you need one local NIC on each blade, so you may need additional LAN mezzanine cards and additional LAN interconnects on the chassis if the builtin NICs are used up or are connected on the Cisco interconnect module and have no more ports available.
If you provide more details, cluster OS and SW, blade NICs, storage type (FC SAN, iSCSI), chasis interconnect etc maybe you will get more specific suggestions.
indytoatl
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply.
We have 2 BL460s we'd like to cluster and I'm trying to understand the built-in NICs.
If both internal nics are used for the 3120 do we need to buy more mez cards for the heartbeats?

Hardware:
c7000 - 16 BL460's - One Qlogic 2port fiber card on ea srv - Two 3120 Switches and Two 9124e Fiber switches - Two OA.
TTr
Honored Contributor

So you do have the cisco switches in the firt pair of interconnect slots. It depends on the how the Cisco switches are configured, talk to your network people to find out if both built-in ports are going to be configured on each switch for the primary network interface of the blade server. Most of the time this is the case. So you would need to add LAN mezzanine card to each blade and add one or two LAN interconnects. Usually for heartbeat setup you use Ethernet passthrough interconnect modules.
Normally the FC mezzanine HBAs go on the first mezzanine slot and the FC modules in the second pair of interconnects. The add-on LAN card goes in the second mezzanine slot and the add-on LAN modules in the third pair of interconnect slots.
SteveMacNZ
Occasional Advisor

I have recently finished setting up 2 fail over window 2008 clusters on bl460c blades split between 2 c7000 enclosures. I followed the standard Microsoft clustering whitepapers for the setup. As for the networking I used the internal NICs in an 802.3AD Team for the Cluster and an additional NIC mezzine Card configured with 802.3AD Teaming for the heartbeat network. I also configured the switches for 802.3AD to ensure that I had failover and loadbalancing on both the servers and the switches.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers

Steve:)