1751742 Members
5671 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: c-Class VirtualConnect FC *not* using "virtual" WWNs

Paul_637
Regular Advisor

c-Class VirtualConnect FC *not* using "virtual" WWNs

We have the VC ethernet & FC and I've configured them to use the auto-assigned WWNs/MAC addresses etc. but, now that I've started connecting FC switches (HP 4/32's) the WWN's showing up bear no resemblance to what they are "supposed" to be.

Also, two of the BL480c's are VMware ESX 3.0.1 servers and the WWN's reported in there also don't match what the VC-FC range is supposed to be.

Any suggestions as to what to look for to correct it?

Regards,

Paul
13 REPLIES 13
Jeff Allen_5
Valued Contributor

Upgrade your HBA firmware. That ought to do it - worst case, re-apply the profile after the upgrade.
Paul_637
Regular Advisor

I've tried updating the firmware but it seems it's on the latest.

I've also tried re-applying the profile to no apparent effect.

The odd thing is that the WWPN's seem to be /close/ but one or two out when looking at them through the switch management interface. However, it's not as though I think I'm looking at one HBA details but it's actually showing another - the numbers reported in the switch management seem to preceed those within the HBA.

Quite difficult to describe unfortunately :(

Paul
David Graham_8
Advisor

Paul,

This is by design it would appear. You will notice that the pool for the HBA for the profile with be HBA 1 ends with 011c
and HBA 2 ends with 011e

This is to allow for the PORT and NODE address to be different.

I spent 2 weeks struggling with this. What are you trying to do? I found out how to boot from san with these WWN's off by one.

Email me or post up so we can discuss.
Paul_637
Regular Advisor

Sorry Jeff, turns out it *was* firmware-related. the HBA firmware can be very confusing to a newcommer! You have to be very careful which parts of revisions you are referring to!

For instance, I was looking at the "1.26" but NOT the "4.00.18" element (latesest is 4.00.85).

All very confusing to a newcommer to "real" SANs - quite a learning curve but good fun too! :)

Based on the wwPn's reported for the PORTs via the VC-FC module, there appears to be an additional virtual wwN for the HBA, one number away from the lowest wwPn (I think, I'm not in the office ATM).

I do want to have a go at boot-from-san once I've finished updating the fw on all the blades so I may well get back to you David.

Thanks both...
nickkk

where can i find the firmware update 4.00.85?? i cant seem to find it ...

thanks

nick
Paul_637
Regular Advisor

I'm not surprised as it's completely NON-obvious!

Go to http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=1844105&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=1844104&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=54 and click on the "Multiboot Image for Qlogic-based c-class FC Mezzanine HBAs" link.

This looks like V 1.26, or even 1.63, but once you've downloaded & installed it, it's actually 1.26 AND 1.63 AND 4.00.85 all in one package!

Regards,

Paul
nickkk

Thanks! gotta question ... does this work with VMWare ESX 3.0.1?
Paul_637
Regular Advisor

This was the ONLY way I could get our ESX 3.0.1 blades to see the SAN! I had major issues getting it all sorted but in the end it was firmware all around that /seems/ to hav resolved it.

At the time I had a call logged with HP, eventually they came back to me asking how *I* fixed it as they had another customer with the same issues that they couldn't resolve! I ended up giving them details of what I did to get htings working which they said they'd put into a technical bulleting.

In essence, this is what I had to do to get my (new) EVA4K & San Switch 4/32 setup working:

o Update all firmware
o Have Command View ready to create a new host
o Ensure all zoning is correctly configured (I created a zone for *every* VC-FC WWN within the two VC-FC modules)
o On each blade, boot to the HBA bios and perform a LUN scan for the primary port
o In Command View, create a new host with the newly listed port in the "Ports List"
o Perform the above again on the second HBA port
o Present the appropriate LUNs to the appropriate hosts.

Worked for me...

Regards,

Paul

nickkk

I ran the flasutil.exe /I /FB /O Q24N2163.bin in order to upgrade the BIOS and firmware, but I am still showing 4.00.18 as the firmware version and not 4.00.85. Is there something else that i need to run in order to fully upgrade?