New Discussion юеВ

c3000 OA and ILO2 problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joakim_2
Advisor

c3000 OA and ILO2 problem

Hi,
I have 2 480c and 2 460c servers in an c3000 enclosure. This morning I have 4 critical errors in OA saying:
Error - for ProLiant servers please ensure that you are running iLO2 version 1.30 or later.
Looking in my log I see that the ILO's on all four servers stopped responding late last night.

My fw on OA is 2.12 and ILO fw is 1.35 on 480-servers and 1.43 on 460-servers. All four later then 1.30 that is. Did a reset on the OA but the errors came back in a few minutes. I then powered of one 460 which is a labserver and tried to power it up but then couldn't start it. Seems the OA won't give it any power.

I downloaded the next firmware for the OA (2.13).Before updating it I updated ILO on both 480 from 1.35 to 1.70. (need at least ilo 1.43 for 2.13 it says). Updating the OA to 2.13 didn't help either.

I'm now thinking of rebooting one server at a time to maintance-cd (8.30)and upgrading them hoping that OA doesn't cut the power for me while rebooting. And finally update the OA step by step to 2.32.

Any thoughts or ideas what could cause it and what to do?

regards /J
8 REPLIES 8
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Re: c3000 OA and ILO2 problem

I'd use the Bladefirmware 1.40 CD instead of the general Proliant firmware CD. It includes a later BIOS. It may need to do a few reboots.

Then upgrade the OA firmware to 2.32

OA shouldn't cut power if you have enough and its just confused.
Just use the hard power on (press and hold)
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

Joakim_2
Advisor

The strange thing is that the error came all of a sudden. Nothing has been changed or updated in the enclosure for a couple of weeks. The two 480 has ILO 1.70 now cause I updated them through windows. On the 460 I'm running ESX-server so that one needs a reboot onto the cd to update the ILO (don't know any other way).

Tried to force the fourth 460 to start, holding the startbutton for a while, but nothing happened besides that the health led blinks red. (nothin wrong with the blade cause it starts up fine in another c3000)

After talking to the support they say it's very important to keep the FW up to date and
especially update in "alphabetic order", Bios, Ilo, Oa, but they couldn't explain why the errors came so suddenly.

Is it ok to update the OA from 2.13 directly to 2.32? In one thread someone wrote you should go to 2.2 before 2.3...

Haven't unplugged the OA, maybe that could help me?

/J
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

To upgrade the iLO firmware thru the iLO.
Download the "online" firmware cp.....exe
Run it and extract it to a folder.
Access the iLO Administration interface.
Goto Administration - Firmware.
The file to upload is ilo_170.bin in the extracted folder.

As long as your ilO & BIOS firmware meet the pre-requirements of the OA 2.32 firmware column on here
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/blades/components/c-class-compmatrix.html
you should be ok.
Joakim_2
Advisor

Well, forgot to mention that ILO is unreachable on all blades. Upgrading
that way is not an option. :(
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Is it ok to update the OA from 2.13 directly to 2.32?
YES. you can update it directly to 2.32

You can to telnet to OA. and try Flashing iLO firmware on the BL460.

UPDATE ILO { ALL | [{ , | - } ]} : Administrator
account privileges are required with given bay access. "ILO" downloads a new
flash image from the network and uses it to update the iLO's firmware.
Supported protocols are http, https, tftp and ftp. The url should be formatted
as: protocol://host/path/filename. If your FTP server does not support anonymous
logins, a username and password can be specified within the url formatted as:
ftp://username:password@host/path/filename.

if the above doesn't work, Unplug the OA module and give it a try.
Joakim_2
Advisor

Well, now it's up working.
Rebooted one server at a time onto the maintance cd and upgraded all. After that I did a reset on the OA. Still the same.

Then I unplugged the OA-module,waited 15s, reinseted it and everything went up like charm. Updated all ILO's from 1.61 (1.61 came from maintance cd) to 1.70 and finally flashed the OA to 2.32.

Up and running looking great.
Thx for input and tips.

/Regards Joakim
Joakim_2
Advisor

Post above