Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

c3000 interconnect with HP P4500 iSCSI SAN, BL460cG6

wacs
Occasional Visitor

c3000 interconnect with HP P4500 iSCSI SAN, BL460cG6

Hi,

What interconnects would I need for an iSCSI SAN solution to run ESXi, would I need HBAs, the lists of hardware compatability issues gets very confusing in our mixed environment (windows and vmware).
6 REPLIES
Niels Vejrup Pedersen
Respected Contributor

Re: c3000 interconnect with HP P4500 iSCSI SAN, BL460cG6

Hello,

iSCSI are regular ethernet switches.

You have the options of Virtual Connect, Blade Networks and Cisco.

If you need a HBA or not depends on what you are going to use it for.

Regards,
wacs
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

Thank you for the reply, according to the p4500 best practices, it seems there is a need for adaptive load balancing and mpio, should I be considering a pass through?

For ESX and windows mixed environments, do i just get additional physical 1gb e nic for the blades or do I get the qlogic iscsi hba?
Niels Vejrup Pedersen
Respected Contributor

Hi,

I would recommend taking a look at the Flex-10 Virtual Connect modules - since youre using the G6 blades, which comes with dual 10gig cards.

The current hardware adapters for iSCSI is only 1gig - and with flex-10 youre able to carve up the nics into 4 virtual nics.

Remember that the features of the multifunction nics are only available when running Windows - and NOT VMware ESX.

Be aware that the Flex-10 modules only support uplinks via CX4 or SFP+ modules.

Regards,
wacs
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

We do not have 10gb infrastructure in place, will we be able to implement this with vc, and another 2 port NIC for 4 pNIC per blade for esx?
Michel Tomrow
Occasional Visitor

Well bro to clarify your doubts there is no better place to go that in here: StarWindSoftware.com, search for Resources follow Technical Papers then click in StarWind iSCSI Target: Using StarWind with VMware ESX Server, here is everything you need to know.
Good luck
wacs
Occasional Visitor

Great thanks for the link.