Re: c7000 OA update

SOLVED
Go to solution
predrag81
Valued Contributor

c7000 OA update

Dear all,

one question:
i must checked one enclosure to see is there any affected power supply according to CA, but main thing in this scenario is OA version.
First I must update OA, which is v2.04.
I didn't jet try jumping over a couple version in Blade infrastructure.
So, I need to kno:
Can I update ROM and ILO on Blade servers to last known version and then update OA to 2.60 or I must first go to v2.25 and then to v2.41 and finally to 2.60?
What are yours experiance?
What are you suggested?

Tnaks in advance,
P.
13 REPLIES 13
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Server BIOS and ILO first --> to latest.

Then OA to latest.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
predrag81
Valued Contributor

I know that, but my question was:

can I force v2.60,
or I must go in steps 2.04-2.25-2.41-2.60?

And for sure, first i must update ROM and iLO on blade.

Thanks
Ed Cox
Respected Contributor

Hi...
You can't jump from v2.04 to the latest.
In my situation (from 2.25)I had to first update to 2.32 and from there you should be able to update to the latest OA firmware.

Version 2.41 (and later) is the version that I saw that started indicating whether or not you have the affected power supplies.

Good luck,
Ed Cox

predrag81
Valued Contributor

Hi Ed,

I'm supposing that this must be right scenario, but I must checked!
At least I hope that I can jump to 2.25 first and then to 2.60?
And ROM and ILO shouldn't be problem update to latest ver at once?
And after that OA comes!

How are you update ROM and ILO?
OS restart is required after fw update.

Ed, thanks a lot!
Predrag
Ed Cox
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi,

You should be able to update from 2.04 to 2.25 (they aren't that far apart).

Do you have all of the necessary firmware?
If not:

http://hp.com/go/bladesfw

There is a Compatibility Matrix at the top of the page. Click that link. At the bottom of that page will be links to get Server Firwmare and Drivers.

From here you can pick your blade model then Operating System and then pick the firmware you want.

Do you want to update firmware online or OFFline? There is a tool for each.

The System BIOS update requires a restart to take effect but the iLO and Power Management controller do not require a reboot.

If you choose the Offline option, this is an ISO file that the iLO can boot to (so a Server Reboot is required) and it is an unattended ROM upgrade of ALL firmware in a blade (BIOS, iLO, PMC, Fibre HBA, SAS drives). And once again, this is unattended so all components in need of updating will get the new ROM level provided in the ISO file.

If you go with the Online ROM update program, you can pick and choose which components get upgraded (some people don't want to upgrade their Fibre HBA at this time). So the online method gives you more control over what gets upgraded and exactly when you want to reboot.

If you need the actual links to these programs, let me know. If you want the Online ROM program, let me know what OS you are running since the Online version is OS specific.

Good luck,
Ed
predrag81
Valued Contributor

Ed, thanks a lot...
Online update will be used..
I have experience with offline update and i don't want to update all components fw inside of the blade.
I must find out which OS is running on Blades and next step will be ROM and iLO update.
And then... OA:)
Hope that everything would be fine.

I will report you what did I done!
Bladefw url is familiar to me.

Thanks Ed!
predrag81
Valued Contributor

Ed, I will using FW Maintenance CD 8.60, boot every blade individually and update only neccessery component, ROM, PM and iLO and after that update OA, first to 2.24 and then straight to 2.60 version?

Is this right scenario?

I have headache about older FW on Blade, so I must ask you, sorry!

Thanks,
Predrag
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Yes - update those firmware, you might as well update the Array and Broadcom NIC firmware as well while you are doing firmware updates.
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Use should use the Firmware Deployment Tool 1.60 for updating blade firmwares. It's same as FW CD 8.60 but totally automatic. Just mount it to all blades from OA and update...
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi