1752290 Members
4986 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: c7000 and BL460c blade failover!

Michael Crocker
Occasional Advisor

c7000 and BL460c blade failover!

I currently have a c7000 populated with BL460c blades. We are trying to do failover from one blade to another but we can't find any documentation anywhere with instructions on how to set this up. Supposedly the failover blades go in bays 8 and 16 however we don't have any other information for configuration. Where can I find this at?

Thanks guys!
9 REPLIES 9
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

What kind of failover do You mean ? You need Virtual Connect modules for starters. Then You can move the server "identity" from one bay to another.

OR ...are you using SIM + RDP to utilize "rip and replace" method
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Michael Crocker
Occasional Advisor

We were told that bays 8 and 16 were to be used for hot spares which they could be configured to assume the identity of another blade in a matter of seconds.

Could you elaborate on the rip and replace and where can I find documentation for configuring? I'm figuring out that the c7000 won't do hot spare I think.
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Here are RDP manuals
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=332359

Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

since you were told that they can take the identity of other blade in 1-2 mins , then you must have virtual connect interconnect modules delivered, because this is the advantage of virtual connect, the RDP is a something like workaround...

Regards
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

dear PAC, I said that in my first post to this thread.

Michael Crocker
Occasional Advisor

We were under the impression that bays 8 and 16 were for a hot failover. That has now been debunked. It looks like we're stuck with just clustering. We wanted to do VMWare boot from SAN with a hot spare failover, however it looks like we will have to rely on virtual connect and server profiles to give us the edge.

I truly appreciate you guys help. If you have any other suggestions also, I'm all ears.

Thanks!
Michael
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Jarkko,

I saw what you've written.

I wrote this , because if he goes to the RDP manuals he will not use the Virtual connects he has...

It was only to say that RDP is maybe not meant when they told him about the "identity change"...

Regards
martymcfly1955
Advisor

Just wondering if you ever found a solution here.  I'm in the exact same boat with the exact same hardware.  

Server-Support
Super Advisor

Yes me too here,

I'd like to know if there is any documentation or guide which explains how the best way to do it safely.

Please share it here.

Best regards,