108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: c7000 and serial console

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stephen P. Schaefer
Frequent Advisor

c7000 and serial console

I've got a Proliang BL460c G7 blade in a c7000 chassis. From the virtual VGA BIOS, I've configured it to use COM 1 for the BIOS boot, and the OS I'm installing has also been told to use a serial console. I'm used to doing this with independent rack mounted servers and actual serial lines, but I'm new to the c7000 and blades.

I've ssh'd into the c7000, and it would appear as if the "connect server serial 2" command were supposed to connect me to the serial line console, but after a little pause I'm sent back to the ssh session prompt with no interaction with the serial console of the blade I'm interested in:

Enclosure1-OA1> connect server serial 2

Connecting to bay 2 ...
VSP
Virtual Serial Port Active: COM1

Enclosure1-OA1>

How do I connect to the serial console?
5 REPLIES 5
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

not aware what's your FW version but seems exactly the same had bug in OA 3.30 resolved in 3.31, see here under problems resolved...:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=3188465&swItem=MTX-115714f24d9d49f685893f9149&prodNameId=3188475&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=1

CLI

Fixed an issue where the OA CLI ├в CONNECT SERVER SERIAL├в command would fail when connecting to a HP ProLiant G7 server blade.
Stephen P. Schaefer
Frequent Advisor

Thank you! That patch certainly improved things. Oddly, even though I configured the host BIOS to use COM1 everywhere it appeared relevant, when I do the connect, it declares it's attaching me to COM2 - which is unresponsive after the hpiLO prompt to any typed character, although the escape sequence does indeed return me to the Enclosure CLI session. Could you speculate as to what I'm doing wrong? Is there separate configuration of the iLO I should do? A pointer to the appropriate documentation would be grand.

Enclosure1-OA1> connect server serial 2

Connecting to bay 2 ...
VSP
Virtual Serial Port Active: COM2

Starting virtual serial port.
Press 'ESC (' to return to the CLI Session.

hpiLO->
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Sorry, I have never configured VSP myself so can't be of much help with hands-on experience...This is the document to configure and use VSP for ilo3:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00263709/c00263709.pdf
Stephen P. Schaefer
Frequent Advisor

Thanks! That's what I needed.
Stephen P. Schaefer
Frequent Advisor

Thanks again for the help.