BladeSystem - General
1752567 Members
5523 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

c7000 minimum PDUs/Feeds UPS optional

justinokirk

Hi gang, I am trying to plan the addition of a new rack and power configuraiton to our new data center for use with c7000 blade enclosure(s) and additional equipment. I have seen numerous diagrams from HP documentation and other places that describe using 2 single feed PDUs to power 2 and even 3 c7000 chasis. Further reading leads me to beleive these configurations are significantly more complex than the diagrams indicate. Assume my c7000 has 16 BL260c, 4PSU, 8Fans and doesn't require UPS and additional equipment which also doesn't require UPS would ideally share the same circuits. What PDUs are recommended to support the 4PSU N+1 single phase configuration and additional equipment, and how much additional equipment can they support? What PDUs are recommended to support the 3-phase configuration with additional equipment, and how much additional equipment can they support? For completeness, I guess it would be good to know the minimum UPS configuration for these two scenarios ( 10-20 minutes of battery support ). Thanks [Updated on 5/16/2008 4:31 PM]
1 REPLY 1
chopper3
Frequent Advisor

Fans and PSUs are cheap - ALWAYS fill your fan and PDU bays if you're using more than 6 blades. We generally use two APC or HP 32A PDUs with 'commando' leads (C-320's iirc?), each with multiple C-13 connectors and each fed from separate spurs from the same room-wide PDU off a single phase. We then use C-14-to-C19 power cables into all of the single-phase power ports. This is more than enough power to support two full enclosures per rack. We thought about going three-phase, and I'm sure that's a good idea if you have 3,4 or 5 enclosures per rack but I'm not sure we need them Phil.