BladeSystem - General
1753734 Members
4383 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ethernet passthrough not working c-class enclosure

Ryan Parrish

ethernet passthrough not working c-class enclosure

I'm using ethernet passthrough on a c-class enclosure with BL460c blades. I'm not getting any link from passthrough ports to the switch they're connected to. Switch ports are in working order and configured properly, so it's not the switch. The correct MAC address shows for each port in the OA but none of the blades get a link to the port on their NICs. Any help is appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: ethernet passthrough not working c-class enclosure

What speed is the switch they are connected to?
Ryan Parrish

They are 100/auto ports with 1 gig uplink.
Rick White
Occasional Advisor

The ethernet passthrough only negotiate at 1GB. Try it with a 1GB switch and it should work.
Ryan Parrish

Yeah, I just figured this out by hooking directly to the uplink. Looks like I need to buy some switches. It would have been nice if our HP rep had mentioned this about the interconnects when we were getting quotes/making purchase orders.
Rick White
Occasional Advisor

It's a relatively new product. Looks like the sales partner doesn't know about this limitation.
John Maria_1

I just want to make sure I have this clear. Will the pass through on the C-Class chassis only tranceive at 1Gbit?
Ryan Parrish

Yes, they are 1GB only as I discovered, and HP has confirmed. Apparently the backplane operates at 1GB to the NICs directly and the passtrough is just wires that connect directly to the NICs, so it only operates at the NIC's native speed, which is 1GB. That may not be exactly correct from a technical perspective, but that is how is works.