1753259 Members
5452 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ethernet vc

ilayy
Regular Advisor

ethernet vc

hi experts i have ethernet vc installed in bay 1 and 2 in c7000 also i have to redundant external swtiches i want to configure redundant ethernet connection.
1)is it possible to use vc in bay 2 as acrive vc also and configure network redundancy at the server level?
2)if not. for example i have a bl460c in bay 1 so the nic 1 is connected to the port 1 to vc in bay 1 one nic 2 is connected to the port 1 of the vc in bay 2 now if i configure a vlan that connect the nic 1 of the server to the uplink one and now the vc in bay 1 go down what happen ? what happen?
7 REPLIES 7
Lmm_1
Honored Contributor

You can handle failover at the server level, as an example, you create 2 networks on VC, NetA using uplink ports on VC bay 1 and NetB using uplink ports on VC bay 2 (Smartlink enabled on both), each VC connected to each external switch. On the server profile, NIC 1 will be assigned to NetA and NIC 2 to NetB, At the OS level you can configure NIC teaming or Bonding, then if the connection between VC bay 1 and the external switch goes down, the OS will handle the failover, same behavior if the entire VC module goes down.
Lmm_1
Honored Contributor

ilayy
Regular Advisor

so what you meant is both of the vc are active on the same time and what is failing over is just the web interface. my second question is can i connect an msa directly to an fc vc or it should be seperated by a san switch and here i ask fc vc support zoning?
Lmm_1
Honored Contributor

I think that you need the SAN switch the middle, someone else can confirm it here.
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

The VC FC are not like a SAN switch, you cannot direct connect i.e. a disk array to it, as mentioned you do need a SAN switch in between.

HTH

Kris
ilayy
Regular Advisor

so if i use borcade san switch i will be able to connect it directly to the msa? and in which c3000 or c7000 switch bay can i install? can i install it in bay 1 and 2?
The Brit
Honored Contributor

The above replies are talking about using an external SAN switch as an intermediary between your FC VC modules and the storage sub-system. In this case, the SAN switch does not install in the c7000/c3000 enclosure.

There are SAN switch modules which can be plugged directly into the c7000/c3000, (e.g. Brocade 8Gb SAN Switch 8/12c - Switch - 12 ports - 8Gb Fibre Channel - plug-in module)
however this is not a "Virtual Connect" device, it would actually replace your VC FC modules and would not be configurable using VCM.

HTH

Dave.