New Discussion

Re: ew GbE2C Switch in C3000 - No management console link

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rob_69_1
Frequent Advisor

ew GbE2C Switch in C3000 - No management console link

Hi all,

I just installed a second front end switch in my C3000 enclosure, a GbE2C. It looks ok, status is green and I see interconnections correctly.

But... There's no "Management Console" link in the appropriate menu on OA interface. Just a "Port Mapping" link.

How is this possible? All the other switches in the C3000 have both the links, "port mapping" and "console"... And I'd like to be able to access the switch's Management GUI, of course.

Thank you for any hint
9 REPLIES 9
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Do You have the enclosure bay IP addressing in use for interconnects ?
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Rob_69_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Jarkko,

as of now, EBIPA is not enabled on any device/interconnect bays. Until now, for the other devices, the IP was assigned by the DHCP server. Looks like for this switch, it didn't work...
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Is there a "initial setup" when You first time take connection (console) to switch?

Rob_69_1
Frequent Advisor

Well, from OA I see the actual IP is not assigned (0.0.0.0) and I don't have ANY "console" links under that device's submenu... Therefore I'm not able to see if there is an initial setup.

When I first plugged it in the enclosure, it had the green status light, and the UID blue light was on.

But I can't connect. Only thing I can see is that the port mappings are correctly show, and green.

If I reboot the connected servers, the corresponding NICs do not come up. It says "link down", of course. But they are there, with their mac address etc.

Should I connect with a serial cable?
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Yes, by console I mean a serial console connection. Or You could try from OA cli
connect interconnect [bay]

Rob_69_1
Frequent Advisor

Aaargh... From OA Cli --> serial connection not supported

And it looks like I don't have the right cable to connect via Putty + serial. Cursor blinks but no prompt (9600 / 8 data/ 1 stop / no parity / no flow control).

I also tried to set an EBIPA address for that port and reset the switch... no luck.

Have to find the right cable...
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor
Solution

You may need to physically reseat that GBE2c switch if you have not already.

I am assuming your OA (Onboard Administrator) firmware is at least 2.51 (2.60 is the current rev)
Rob_69_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks. Physically reseating the switch did the trick. Points to Jarkko too as after his suggestion, I built a functional null-modem cable that's going to be useful in the future for sure!
Johnsen
Occasional Visitor

Hi there,

Sorry to brought this thread up again, but need some help here.

I've come across the same issue with Rob_69_1.

I've just upgraded our HP GbE2C Switch firmware to 5.2.8. But after finish upgrading, the IP Address back to 0.0.0.0

I've try to assign the ip address from OA (Firmware 3.70) but it won't change at all. Still 0.0.0.0

- Have tried to access from OA Cli, which result the same --> serial connection not supported

- Have tried to reset the switch but no luck with it

- Tried using Serial Cable but cursor blinks but no prompt (9600 / 8 data/ 1 stop / no parity / no flow control), is there any special serial cable to use ? Because I just use normal simple DB-9 Serial Connector

- Have tried to reseat as Rob_69_1 success in, but no luck also.

Any suggestion ? I guess it has sth to do with enabling the DHCP inside the switch so that the EBIPA can assign the ip, But no luck in accessing the Switch using VT100 Terminal