1753781 Members
7444 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

how to change NIC name in HP NCU?

AccuMegalith
Advisor

how to change NIC name in HP NCU?

I have some previously-set-up blades which have inconsistent and in some cases confusing NIC names in the Network COnfiguration Utility. I'm referring to the name found in the "ethernet devices" tab, "HP NICs" tree, where one creates and deletes network teams. On the individual NIC elements, there is a name in square brackets in between the port/status icon and the device name, e.g. "[1] HP NC373i Multifunction Gigabit Server Adapter." I want to change the text that's between the square brackets. I have mostly Win2003 x64 clients with NCU 9.x. I can't find this value in the registry, and it doesn't track the connection name from the network control panel.
White water rafting on a river of acid
4 REPLIES 4
Lmm_1
Honored Contributor

Re: how to change NIC name in HP NCU?

It should take the name of the Connection, try changing the name on Windows Network Connections applet and recreate the team.
AccuMegalith
Advisor

I should've mentioned that I tried that on a spare server. I dissolved the team, changed the connection names in the network control panel, then re-opened NCU and the name was unchanged. I didn't reboot or anything, though.
White water rafting on a river of acid
Lmm_1
Honored Contributor

I just did a quick test with NCU 9.40 and it works, have you tried to reinstall the NCU?
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

It's Probably the XML config file that it's something wrong with. I recommend breaking the team and delete the cpqnic.xml file in c:\program files\HP\NCU and reinstall the NCU..

When you change the windows name of the nics the NCU should update the cpqnic.xml with the new names but that clearly doesn't happen..