BladeSystem - General
1752577 Members
4285 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: how to switch from a virtual connect to a pass thru module

wstclair41

how to switch from a virtual connect to a pass thru module

I currently have a c7000 chassis with two virtual connect modules in it. We have purchased two new 10gb pass thru modules that I want to replace the virtual connects with. Does anyone know if there is documentation out there on how to do this? The biggest concern is the blades maintaining there IP config and that type of thing.

Thanks for any help!!

2 REPLIES 2
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

What will happen will depend upon how the VC domain is configured.  If it is configured to use virtual mac/wwid's, then possibly you may have some reconfiguration to do.

Any reason why you went with passthru's vs. newer 10G vC Modules?  (or maybe you had 10G V Modules... I don't know, just speculating.)

Depending upon the model servers you have... you may end up losing configured NIC's as well.

Can you give us any more information regarding the current configuration of the blade enclosure?

Server models? Interconnect models? OS configuration? VC Host Profile Configuration? Screenshots? anything... might be useful to assist in helping you achieve your goals.

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
SwisspostIT
Valued Contributor

Also be sure about following:

Since you will use Pass-Thru, they don't have any configuration (or at least no configuration you can set through GUI). You must configure the Networks / VLANs on the Switch, which is connected with the Pass-Thru Modules.

And be sure to update the Firmware on the Pass-Thru Modules: http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01868273/c01868273.pdf

I recommend: Updating the firmware image using the Onboard Administrator CLI

The newest Firmware for the Pass-Thru is here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=4017943&prodNameId=4017950&swEnvOID=4048&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-43a506d1eb6b4639b097564935

Regards,