108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hp RDP console renaming servers

friedheadsandwich
Occasional Contributor

hp RDP console renaming servers

hello

i've upgraded to the latest version of RDP 6.0.1

noticed that when i rename the new object to reflect our server naming convention it doesn't doesn't remember what i've renamed it to.

i rename the server when it appears in the console view....

deploy a o/s job to it....

and then when the job is completes it renames it to a randomly assigned window names ACMEFCA-1APGGBK..

it should remember what i've renamed the server to right ...?
4 REPLIES 4
Marco_G
Occasional Advisor

If using sysprep default.txt file there should be a line entry:
ComputerName=%#*"select right(replace([name],' ',''),15) from computer where computer_id={ID}"%

It should be located in your \express\lib\ on the RDP server.
This will use the name you entered in the console view to replace the default Windows generated name. The 15 refers to only using 15 characters in the name.
friedheadsandwich
Occasional Contributor

thanks for the post

yes but the same default.txt logic exists with 2003 server builds and when i renamed the server in the console after the 2003 server is deployed the same name was reflected on the server post deployment,

this functionality doesn't seem to work under the new version.... 6.0.1 / Winblows 2008 rc2

any other ideas?
friedheadsandwich
Occasional Contributor

this isn't a biggy as its a manuaa task to set the server name to what it should be right but would like to get it closed down...

added the variable from a script supplied by the RDP install.

%#*"select right(replace([name],' ',''),15) from computer where computer_id={ID}"%

when vaildating it with WAIK it says the variable is longer than 15 character and therefore doesn't work when deploying the job bombs out and fails during the unattend process.

anyway around this?

Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Hey. You can ignore the message from WAIK. It is "translated" as the unattended file is copied by the script to the server along with all the other tokens and database questions. or atleast that's what should happen anyway.