SOLVED
Go to solution
stanley.chiu
Advisor

iLO Firmware Update Problem

BladeSystem c7000 Enclosure
GbE2c Layer 2/3 Ethernet Blade Switch x 2
ProLiant BL460c G6 Servers x 16

This is a brand new install. We have several other similar enclosure setups with no issues.

For this one, we are having problems with updating the firmware of iLO2.

There are no problems accessing the iLO web GUI. Can browse all the tabs perfectly fine. However, when I click on "Send firmware image", it doesn't work as it should. I've literally done this update successfully on over a hundred other DL300 series and Blade servers in other enclosures.

With IE8, the status box never changes from "iLO 2 firmware update has not started". However using Wireshark, I can see that there is data being transferred continuously for a couple minutes, until the Internet Explorer window goes to a page that says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". From the Wireshark entries, I can see that there are some "TCP ZeroWindowProbe" packets. Not sure if that's normal or not.

Using Firefox, after clicking "Send firmware image", it immediately returns the following popup alert box:

=====
Integrated Lights-Out has detected an error:

Error Message: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80040111 (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE) [nsIXMLHttpRequest.statusText]" nsresult: "0x80040111 (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE)" location: "JS frame :: https:///dfrmwr.htm?data :: processReqChange :: line 884" data: no]
File Name:
Line Number: 0
=====

After clicking "OK", I can see on Wireshark that data starts being transferred, but the progress "Internet Explorer cannot display the status box also never changes, and the upload will never complete.

Anyone have any idea what might be the cause of this?

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
Emmanuel Han
Visitor

Re: iLO Firmware Update Problem

Are you selecting .bin file for the firmware image?
stanley.chiu
Advisor

Yes, it's the same .bin file that I've used to upgrade many other servers, including same model Blade servers in other c7000 enclosures.
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Stanley,

Can you use another method to update the iLO firmware? There are online packages for Windows and Linux available here:

v1.81 for Windows:
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/km/search#q=iLO%20Firmware%20windows&t=All&sort=relevancy&numberOfResults=25

v1.81 for Linux:
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/km/search#q=iLO%20Firmware%20linux&t=All&sort=relevancy&numberOfResults=25

You can also telnet/ssh to the enclosure and use the UPDATE ILO command.

I had an issue with iLO2 on IE8 where I was prompted with a message to allow an ActiveX control to run. If I answered Yes the firmware would not upload, but if I answered No it worked fine.

good luck, if you appreciate the answers we appreciate the points!

stanley.chiu
Advisor

Hi WFH-WI,

While your post doesn't explain why the web GUI method isn't working properly, your suggestion to alternatively of using SSH to the onboard administrator to do the update is fantastic.

Way simpler method, and way faster! One shot to update all 16 Blades... couldn't ask for anything more.

Thanks!
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Good to hear the ability to update firmware isn't impacted by the browser issue. (That would be a big problem!)

That probably means you can rule out the iLO proc as the cause of your original problem. It seems to be tied to your client machine/effective browser/Javascript settings.

Fortunately HP was kind enough to provide alternative methods to handle iLO changes. :)

-Jamie
stanley.chiu
Advisor

No, it can't be client side, because I tried from a couple different machines, including the one that I used to succesfully update a hundred other servers, both standalone and similar Blades in other similar c7000 enclosures...