BladeSystem - General
1752584 Members
3984 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: is Virtual Connect stacking required?

SwisspostIT
Valued Contributor

Hi everyone,

since today I'm also using VC Modules (had Pass-Thru until now) in my Lab.

Know I've a question regarding the stacking links:

Did I understand it right that if you use 2 identical VC Modules (I use VC FlexFabric 10Gb/24-port Modules) on Bay 1 & 2 there is no need to use a cable as stacking link since the Modules should have the stacking link through the Enclosure backplane?

Because the Virtual Connect Manager shows under Stacking Links the connection status as "FAILED" and Redundancy Status as "No Redundancy".

Thanks and Regards,

JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Hi, check your FW levels. You might be affected with DNS bug. But Yes, no extra stacking links needed (there are internal cross-connections).
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Correct if you have 2 similar modules in bay 1 and 2 you do not have to do the stacking...

However:

Are these modules the only modules in your enclosure? Or are there other modules inserted?

And if there are only 2 modules, did you populate in those 2 modules the ports X7 and X8? Because if you put SFP modules in X7 and X8, the internal crosslink is disabled, since these are shared ports.

Also: what is your firmware level?

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
SwisspostIT
Valued Contributor

@Bart Heungens_1 wrote:

And if there are only 2 modules, did you populate in those 2 modules the ports X7 and X8? Because if you put SFP modules in X7 and X8, the internal crosslink is disabled, since these are shared ports.

This was the problem! Thank you! :-)

Regards,

GIGA-IT

Re: Virtual Connect stacking error

Can anyone help me with this issue

Dave Arkfeld
Advisor

This is a new install for Internal use. I have just 2 adjacent VC FlexFabric 10GB/24-port modules, how do I enable the internal stacking option? I need to use ports x1 and X2 for San, and port X5,X6,X7,X8 for 1GB ethernet. I am getting this indication:

Connection Status: Failed

Redundancy Status: No Redundancy

Dave Arkfeld
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

X7 and X8 are shared ports. If You use them to connect network, You will lose the internal x-links.

So remove networks and connections from those ports.

Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
The Brit
Honored Contributor

is there a reason you are not using ports X3 and X4.     If you used X3, X4, X5, and X6 for your 1G Ethernet uplinks, you would not need to use X7 and X8.

The explanation of your error messages (my interpretation):    X0 provides a default horizontal stacking link between Bay 1 and Bay 2, however this is a single path and provides no redundance.     I think VC considers redundancy to be 'necessary' and therefore reports the stacking links as "Failed".

I would agree with the earlier poster that removing connections and references to X7 and X8 will probably get rid of your "Failed" indicators.

Note however, X0 is a hard connection which probably doesn't need redundancy, and if it showed up as truly "Failed" then you probably have bigger backplane issues.

Dave Arkfeld
Advisor

I am not using X3 and X4 because  x1 - x4 only support 10gb ethernet only.

Dave Arkfeld
The Brit
Honored Contributor

OK. Wasn't aware of that, (I do not use FlexFabric, only Flex10 and older).