BladeSystem - General
1751717 Members
5547 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

push it to the limits (the fun of doing crazy things)

ernst limbrunner
Trusted Contributor

push it to the limits (the fun of doing crazy things)

hi folks lately i did two crazy things just to see what happens: number 1 ------------- i pulled ALL the fans in a c3000 enclosure with 4 bl460 g5. i wanted to see the thermal shut down. nothing happened for more than 40 minutes. so i started cpu-stress (hp tool) an gave 8 theads with 100% on the cpus. 15 minutes later all the servers crashed. so why was there no thermal shutdown??? the PSP was installed! reason: the processors were so badly overloaded by the benchmark that the health driver had no chance to get enough processor time. took me a while to find that out!!!! so, if you have no processing power left - dont expect the software to do what it is supposed to do. number 2 -------------- i pulled 6 of 8 fans in a c7000 enclosure with 9 bl460 g5 (1 cpu/8fb-dimms). i wanted to see how long the system could stand this. there was no load on the serveres - just idlling. the next morning all servers were still running. no server was even close to a critical temperature. result -------- if you have fun destroying other peoples hardware - hp blades are no fun. best regards from germany ernesto