BladeSystem - General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

push it to the limits (the fun of doing crazy things)

ernst limbrunner
Trusted Contributor

push it to the limits (the fun of doing crazy things)

hi folks lately i did two crazy things just to see what happens: number 1 ------------- i pulled ALL the fans in a c3000 enclosure with 4 bl460 g5. i wanted to see the thermal shut down. nothing happened for more than 40 minutes. so i started cpu-stress (hp tool) an gave 8 theads with 100% on the cpus. 15 minutes later all the servers crashed. so why was there no thermal shutdown??? the PSP was installed! reason: the processors were so badly overloaded by the benchmark that the health driver had no chance to get enough processor time. took me a while to find that out!!!! so, if you have no processing power left - dont expect the software to do what it is supposed to do. number 2 -------------- i pulled 6 of 8 fans in a c7000 enclosure with 9 bl460 g5 (1 cpu/8fb-dimms). i wanted to see how long the system could stand this. there was no load on the serveres - just idlling. the next morning all servers were still running. no server was even close to a critical temperature. result -------- if you have fun destroying other peoples hardware - hp blades are no fun. best regards from germany ernesto