4138 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: virtual connect enterprise manager 6

jasonwelch001
Occasional Advisor

virtual connect enterprise manager 6

Hello
We recently implemented 5 c7000's and using those 5 enclosures we created 2 virtual connect domainss (1 domain containing 3 enclosures and the other containing 2).

Next, we installed VCEM 6 but now we're having an issue creating a VC Domain Group using the two virtual connect domains. We can only add one of the virtual connect domains to the domain group.. Either one can be successfully added BUT never able to add both. When we try to add the 2nd domain, we receive errors that the domain that is already a member of the domain group does not have the external networks & shared uplink sets that are cotained in the virtual connect domain trying to be imported in. One thing to note, the external networks & SUS' in both virtual connect domains are NOT named the same between the two domains. Is it a requirement that both the external networks and SUS' have to be named the same between the two virtual connect domains??

Also, is it a problem that one domain has 3 enclosures and the other has 2 enclosures?? Our HP VAR seems to thinks that these two domains can NOT be added to a domain group because they both do not have the same number of enclosures...is there truth to this??

Any insight regarding domain group setup, within VCEM, is much appreciated.

thanks
9 REPLIES 9
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

The domains can have different numbers of enclosures. However, to ensure that a profile can be moved within the domain group, the number and type of interconnects and the names of all the defined networks and fabrics must be identical.
jasonwelch001
Occasional Advisor

Hi David
Thanks for the quick response. When you say the number of interconnects have to be same between the two virtual connect domains, does that mean the 3rd enclosure, within the VC domain containing 3 enclosures, can NOT have any uplinks (Lan or SAN) to the network switches?? Would that 3rd enclosure instead connect to the LAN/SAN via its twinax cable connected to the 2nd enclosure in its domain??
jasonwelch001
Occasional Advisor

Hello,
Just wondering if anyone has additional information regarding my last post within this thread.

if my current VCEM domain group contains 1 Virtual Connect domain which has 2 enclosures, and then i try to add another VC Domain, containing 3 enclosures, is this allowed from VCEM perspective? Will VCEM allow the 2nd domain to be added to Domain Group if it has an additional enclosure? If it will, can that 3rd enclosure have physical LAN/SAN uplinks?
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Jason,

to use VCEM over many enclosures then the enclosures need to have the same interconnects in the same physical places.
The SUS and VLANs, Networks all need to be the same names in all enclosures.
The uplinks need to be the same ports over both enclosures or enclosure stacks. Not sure if they need to be the same speeds thou.

Eg If you have an uplink from enclosure 3 in your 3 stack then you cant join it with a 2 stack as the uplink does not exist.
jasonwelch001
Occasional Advisor

Hi Adrian,
Thanks for your response regarding VCEM and mismatch # of enclosures. Regarding the domain that has an extra enclosure that i'm trying to add to an existing domain group, if that extra enclosure can't have Fiber or Ethernet physical uplinks, how does Fiber Channel work for that extra enclosure??

thanks
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

VCEM is licenced by enclosure and EVERY enclosure must have same config and links with SAME speeds.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
jasonwelch001
Occasional Advisor

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all your feedback
jasonwelch001
Occasional Advisor

thanks everyone
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

No problem, but in this forum You thank us by assigning points to answers.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi