1753534 Members
5320 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: virtual connect firmware upgrade

Davidss
Occasional Contributor

virtual connect firmware upgrade

We have virtual connect 2.33 and OA 3.0.

In order to install BL460c G7 - I saw the requirement is OA atleast 3.11.

We have reduntant connection with virtual connect modules. I will be using the VCSU for virtual connect update and OA web console for OA firmware upgrade. My plan is

1.Upgrade OA from 3.0 to 3.11 first and then
2.Virtual connect form 2.33 to 3.17. (is this something required i need to update one level at a time or can i go-ahead directly to 3.17.??)
3.Then upgrade the OA from 3.11 to 3.21.

If i dont mention the bay number when installing VCSU it will take all the module for update. IS this both module will go down at same time until upgrade completes..?

Please share it if any prior experience on this versions.
8 REPLIES 8
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

I install always the last version without steps between. VCSU will take care about the process. By default it will reboot standy module first and when it's up again the primary will boot.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Davidss
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jarkko,

Thank you for the prompt response.

Have you done the recent VC firmware upgrade/Oa upgrade - Do you have any idea how much it takes to complete.
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

It depends =)
With complex domain it can take even 1,5h, so don't panic if there is no progress. VCSU generates 2 logs for the job. The detailed one is the one to follow.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi
I have done several upgrades the last months. I noticed that the time taken depends of how many blades, how many networks but also the load on the blades.
We are using boot-from-LAN Citrix servers via Citrix Provisioning server and for those servers it can take really long before the upgrade finished. Sometimes I got even failures since there was a continuous stream of data where the upgrade process wasn't able to reset the port...

For that, I ask the Citrix guys to offload the servers in that specific enclosure (and put also ESX servers in Maintenance mode for the same reason) and now all my modules are upgraded in less than 10 minutes per module...

Good luck!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Davidss
Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much.

I am very much afraid, Planning to do the upgrade online when the blades are running. We have reduntant virtual connect enet and fc module.

Not sure how good we can update virtual connect firmware when blades are running.
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi
Like I said, if your NIC teaming is well configured accross the 2 modules, yes you can do online upgrades if you do it module per module. This is possible with VCSU by using the parameter to select a specific bay.

I had experiences with Citrix servers that blocked the upgrade since there were continuous connections blocking the upgrade. For those servers I plan in advance to move the connections to other available Citrix servers...

I maintain 28 enclosures with +300 bladfes. Initially I had some minor issues but now I can say I can do the upgrades even during the day...

Good luck!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Davidss
Occasional Contributor

Thanks to all. I have updated OA and VC firmwares. IT was completly online. one bay went down and another bay still serving the network connectivity. After it came up next bay rebooted.

I have seen some network flextuation - esx went to disconnected mode(few secds). But the VM continously available.

THanks again for all.
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

You're welcome, glad it worked well...

Kr,
Bart