HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
BladeSystem - General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virtual media and vsp

 
sdb_2
Regular Advisor

virtual media and vsp

Hi,

I would like to use the vsp console to do firmware updates using the firmware maintenance dvd.

What I did:
- ssh to blade
- vm cdrom insert http:///FW910C.iso
- vm cdrom set boot_once
- power reset
- vsp

In the vsp console, I can see the server booting from hard drive instead of the mounted image. Also, keyboard input doesn't seem to work (I can't enter the bios using esc+9...)

I checked the boot order settings using the remote console, cdrom is at number one.

Can anyone help me with this?
5 REPLIES
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: virtual media and vsp

IIRC there are related notes on the firmware DVD itself - it only works in fully automatic (non-interactive) mode, no keyboard or mouse action at all.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

__________________________________________________
There are only 10 types of people in the world -
those who understand binary, and those who don't.

__________________________________________________
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: virtual media and vsp

"...Booting the FWDVD from iLO virtual media is only supported in Automatic Firmware Update mode. Users attempting this in any other mode may experience hangs from connection timeouts, difficulties updating iLO firmware, and mouse syncing issues...."

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=3884098&swItem=MTX-3380ae888f86436aac54c149eb&prodNameId=3884099&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=2

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

__________________________________________________
There are only 10 types of people in the world -
those who understand binary, and those who don't.

__________________________________________________
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
sdb_2
Regular Advisor

Re: virtual media and vsp

This automatic mode is indeed working, when I use the virtual media applet and the remote console from the ILO webpage.

When I mount the image from an ssh session with the above commands, the server seems to ignore it at boot.

So the problem I have here is not the automatic or interactive option on the firmware dvd, since I can not boot the dvd when I mount it from an ssh session.

Do you know how I can mount the dvd from an ssh session?
This is wat vm cdrom get shows me:
hpiLO-> vm cdrom get
VM Applet = Disconnected
Boot Option = NO_BOOT
Write Protect = Yes
Image Inserted = Disconnected
Image URL = None

Mark Ashley
Occasional Visitor

Re: virtual media and vsp

Hi

You must do:

- ssh to blade
- vm cdrom insert http:///FW910C.iso

vm cdrom set connect
#! to connect the virtual media.

- vm cdrom set boot_once
- power reset
- vsp

Cheers
sdb_2
Regular Advisor

Re: virtual media and vsp

Hi,

Thanks, this works perfectly :-)

What I was doing now is this (part of perl script):


$result = qx(ssh -l Administrator $enclosure "poweroff server $blade");

$result = qx(ssh -l Administrator $enclosure "hponcfg $blade ftp://Insert_Virtual_Media.xml");

$result = qx(ssh -l Administrator $enclosure "hponcfg $blade ftp://192.168.35.141/scripting/Set_VM_Status.xml");

$result = qx(ssh -l Administrator $enclosure "show server dvd $blade");

$result = qx(ssh -l Administrator $enclosure "poweron server $blade");



This seems to work fine in 90% of the cases, the other 10% of the blades don't boot the iso if it's mounted this way (it works fine the other way, provided by Mark Ashley).
Does anyone know the reason for this?