New Discussion юеВ

Re: wrong hostname onboard administrator device bays

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sam Shen_1
Occasional Advisor

wrong hostname onboard administrator device bays

hello,

i have one enclosure c7000 that consist of 6 BL860C and 4 BL460c.

The problem is one of my BL860c not updated in device bays name after I change my hostname. Its just display "server BL860c -SGHxxxxxxx".
But the other server can updated correctly just like their hostname.

for information, my firmware version is -> OA: 2.41 and BL860c : 4.11, i think this is newest version,right?

does anyone know how to make it hostname properly displayed in the HP onboard administrator device bays section??

i have already do, reboot OS server (HPUX11iv3), restart OA, reset ilo via MP>CM>XD, but still not work.
any other advice?

thx in advance
11 REPLIES 11
cjb_1
Trusted Contributor

sounds funny if the other servers are ok.
you say all the bl860 firmware is the same?

i know sometimes reseating the blade or resetting the problem server from the on-board administrator command line interface helps.
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

You can also change this from the server's RBSU (usually) or you can visit the server's iLO page and click:

.System Status tab>
..Server Status link>
...Identification tab>
....Edit the Server Host Name field

Good luck!
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Sam,

for the BL860C re-seating, nor using EBSU (does not exist for BL860C) is applicable for the hostname to display in the OA GUI.
The OS is responsible to write the hostname in the MP/iLO and the OA pulls that information out of the MP/iLO to display it in the OA GUI.

So you have to check at the OS level (in this case HP UX). In Windows it is done by the Inisght Management Agents, not sure what component in HP UX does this (some diagnostic daemon ?)

Did you check the hostname field in the MP/iLO of the BL860C ?
To verify this:
- logon with a telnet session to the MP/iLO
- go to the command menu (CM)
- run the ID command and choose H for hostname. This will display the hostname (and other information) that you see in the OA GUI normally.
There is no command to change the hostname here, it really needs to come from the OS level, but it is a way to check if it gets written here or not, most likely not.

The system fw 4.11 is the latest for the BL860C at this time, however there are some enhancements in the OA F/W 2.41 related to the hostname display in the GUI , see http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=3188465&swItem=MTX-4f43215688734d8282d116ba51&prodNameId=3188475&swEnvOID=1113&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=3

HTH

Kris

kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

typo in my previous post, EBSU should read RBSU, this is for Proliant blades only, not for Integrity blades.

EBSU does exist for Integrity blades but is something different then RBSU.

Kris
Sam Shen_1
Occasional Advisor

hi all,

i just realize that this one "problem" server had motherboard replacement a week a go, and the firmware is diferent from other -> still 04.05.
i will try update it first on tuesday next week coz this server in my client place.
hope this work after updated.
will give you update after that =)

thx for advise.

sam

Sam Shen_1
Occasional Advisor

hi all,

after upgrade the firmware, its still doesnt display the hostname, any other advice?

WFH-WI,

i cannot edit identification tab. the field just gray and cannot be edited. do you know why and how to fix that?

hi kris,

in the OS level i just do assign hostname like other server, and its work in other server
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Sam,

the field in the MP/iLO GUI cannot be edited, this is normal and by design, it only 'displays' the hostname, the OS is where the name is set.

What is the ID command output on the MP showing you? You have to run this when the OS is up to see if the OS writes the hostname into the MP/iLO or not, if not then the issue is within the blade/OS configuration and then it is not an issue with communicaiton between the OA and the MP/iLO of the blade.

I don't know UX and where to check but i know this is how it works.

HTH
Kris

cjb_1
Trusted Contributor

Sam

Is the OS on the blade up and running?
I don't think the tag that gets displayed in the device bays section is anything to do with the ilo name.

When i have an OS up and running i get the OS hostname. When it isnt i get a combination of product name and serial number as you describe.

Have you bounced the OA since the FW upgrade?

WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Hi Sam,

I apologize, Kris is correct. Per the iLO help page:

System Information
The Server Host Name, Rack UID, and Bay are not user-configurable fields. The Server Host Name is set by the server OS, provided the OS supports that feature. The Asset Tag field can be configured by the user.

Perhaps you have to allow the iLO IP as an SNMP trap destination?