1753767 Members
5442 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 3 Gb SAS Switch - Management IP defaulting to 169.254.0.xxx

jwillis2010
Occasional Visitor

3 Gb SAS Switch - Management IP defaulting to 169.254.0.xxx

Hey, hoping someone can tell me this is being worked on.

Running OA firmware 3.21 Nov 15 2010

C7000

3Gb SAS switch

The IP is set in EBIPA to 172.25.3.93 the SAS switch is set to dhcp.

According to the SAS switch it is picking up the 172.25.3.93 address and using it:

=> switch local show

Blade Enclosure at Mail-C7000
   Switch in Interconnect Bay: 5
      Management Software Version: 2.2.4.0
      Redundancy State: VSM Active
      Management IP Address: 172.25.3.93
      UID LED: OFF

However the ch02oa1> show ebipa interconnect says its got some strange double IP assignment:

EBIPA Device Interconnect Settings

Bay Enabled EBIPA/Current 

5   Yes   172.25.3.93

The net result  is in the OA web administrator Interconnect Bays 5. 3Gb SAS Switch Information

Product Name 3Gb SAS Switch
Management IP Address 169.254.0.205

And in HP SIM the Switches are associated with the chassis, but are declared "Unreachable" and flagged as "Critical".

I've discovered if the EBIPA server is disabled and the address set to NONE NONE the first address will be wiped, but not the second 169.254. address - looks like a variable buffer isn't being wiped.

For now its just a cosmetic inconvenience, but it would be nice to see it cleared up.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

SImilar issue that Monty then replied on. See if it addresses some of your issues:

The HP 3Gb SAS Switch actually uses the Onboard Administrator for user authentication and to launch the Virtual SAS manager GUI тАУ so it uses the OA IP address, not a separate module IP address.

The 169.254.0.x address you see below is automatically assigned by the OA тАУ and not directly accessible outside the enclosure.

To access the Virtual SAS Manager GUI тАУ use the OA to access the management URL to the HP 3Gb SAS Switch in the lowest numbered bay тАУ with an OA user account permitting access permission to that interconnect bay.

If you want a direct URL to the Virtual SAS Manager GUI, use https://Active_OA_IP_address/icbay5/home (where you need to substitute the active OA IP address and append the correct bay number to icbay).

You will still be required to enter an OA username/password with permission to that interconnect bay.

For the Virtual SAS Manager CLI тАУ you must use the OA CLI, and the тАШconnect interconnect XтАЩ command to access the serial interface to the HP 3Gb SAS Switch.

jwillis2010
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for the fast response.

The information is interesting and informative.

But the report is just that its a cosmetic inconvenience, it makes for odd conversation when giving demonstrations and educating co-workers on how to use and 'trust' HP SIM. (Oh and just ignore those blaring red lights.. they really don't mean anything..) that sort of thing.

Looking forward to seeing the issue cleared up.

jwillis2010
Occasional Visitor

Attached a screen cap

mpower525

Hi   jwillis2010

I have same issue with SIM 6.2

C7000

OA 3.11 Aug 19 2010

3GB SAS Switch

its of course just a visual inconvenience but if anyone have a solution ...

HoNk
Occasional Advisor

The new version of the SAS switch firmware is expected to fix this issue. version will be - 2.2.17.0.

SCOTTAADC

Just chiming in with my 2 cents.

I manually put in the IP address via Putty and using the OA interconnect GUI pass-thru (https://OA/interconnectX/

I did this using the IP address I was trying was using in the EBIPA table. No luck. I did restsart the SAS management console and the VC management service. I did the VC restart as that is where the error occurs. I also tried disabling\enabling the expansion bay in the EBIPA table, assigning a new IP address in EBIPA.

Just sent chassis\servers\storage\networking to a client and this is the only outstanding error\alert so hoping the firmware update arrives soon.

Had anyone heard of HP support handing out the update to customers who have this issue?

theITHollow

2.2.17.0 worked for me.