BladeSystem - General
1752273 Members
5081 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Failed dependencies when Installing Service Pack for ProLiant (SPP) on Red Hat 6.4

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Failed dependencies when Installing Service Pack for ProLiant (SPP) on Red Hat 6.4

Some SPP update questions from Dyfrig and customer:

A customer that I’ve been helping with firmware and software updates using SPP has been trying to install SPP on to their new build RHEL 6.4 servers, using the latest SPP and the 6.4 supplementary pack as an additional repository .

The problem is, to quote the customer, is that it fails to install the HP insight agents because it wanted some pre-requisites that don't exist on 6.4, and although most of the packages installed,  the versions quoted have been superseded.

Repsonse from Kim and the Linux Engineering team:

Here is the response I received from the Linux Engineering team:

I'm unable to replicate the issue, but I noticed they're subscribing

both to the SPP and the SPP-supplement.  This is a bit unorthodoxed

and I suggest they subscribe to the "current" version of the SPP

which is an overlay of all the SPP's and supplements.  They'll get

the latest version of all artifacts this way.

The error doesn't have a lot of info in it, but I'm also guessing

yum isn't configured correctly to pull additional dependency rpms

from redhat.

Here's what I just did (which worked);

[root@localhost yum.repos.d]# cat rhel.repo

[rhel]

name=rhel64

baseurl=http://xxxx.xxxx.hp.com/mrepo/RHEL-6.4Server-x86_64/disc1/

enabled=1

gpgcheck=0

gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-release

[root@localhost yum.repos.d]# cat HP-spp.repo

[HP-spp]

name=HP Software Delivery Repository for spp

baseurl=http://downloads.linux.hp.com/SDR/downloads/spp/RedHatEnterpriseServer/$releasever/$basearch/current

enabled=1

gpgcheck=0

Dependencies Resolved

=================================================================================

Package               Arch         Version                   Repository    Size

=================================================================================

Installing:

hp-snmp-agents        x86_64       9.30-2412.33.rhel6        HP-spp       1.0 M

Installing for dependencies:

hp-health             x86_64       9.31-1572.3.rhel6         HP-spp       565 k

lm_sensors-libs       x86_64       3.1.1-17.el6              rhel          38 k

net-snmp              x86_64       1:5.5-44.el6              rhel         303 k

net-snmp-libs         x86_64       1:5.5-44.el6              rhel         1.5 M

Transaction Summary

Install       5 Package(s)

Total download size: 3.4 M

Installed size: 12 M

Is this ok [y/N]: y

Downloading Packages:

(1/5): hp-health-9.31-1572.3.rhel6.x86_64.rpm             | 565 kB     00:00

(2/5): hp-snmp-agents-9.30-2412.33.rhel6.x86_64.rpm       | 1.0 MB     00:00

(3/5): lm_sensors-libs-3.1.1-17.el6.x86_64.rpm            |  38 kB     00:00

(4/5): net-snmp-5.5-44.el6.x86_64.rpm                     | 303 kB     00:00

(5/5): net-snmp-libs-5.5-44.el6.x86_64.rpm                | 1.5 MB     00:00

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total                                             31 MB/s | 3.4 MB     00:00

Running rpm_check_debug

Running Transaction Test

Transaction Test Succeeded

Running Transaction

Installing : lm_sensors-libs-3.1.1-17.el6.x86_64                           1/5

Installing : 1:net-snmp-libs-5.5-44.el6.x86_64                             2/5

Installing : 1:net-snmp-5.5-44.el6.x86_64                                  3/5

Installing : hp-health-9.31-1572.3.rhel6.x86_64                            4/5

Please read the Licence Agreement for this software at

/opt/hp/hp-health/hp-health.license

By not removing this package, you are accepting the terms

of the "HP Proliant Essentials Software End User License Agreement".

Using Proliant Standard

IPMI based System Health Monitor

Starting Proliant Standard

IPMI based System Health Monitor (hpasmlited):

OK  ]

Starting HP Advanced Server Recovery Daemon[  OK  ]

The hp-health RPM has installed successfully.

Installing : hp-snmp-agents-9.30-2412.33.rhel6.x86_64                      5/5

Response from Dyfrig:

Thanks for the response, but in regards to the following statement:

I noticed they're subscribing both to the SPP and the SPP-supplement.  This is a bit unorthodoxed and I suggest they subscribe to the "current" version of the SPP which is an overlay of all the SPP's and supplements

This is a supplement which has to be added to the latest SPP as quoted in the Deployment Instructions section of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.4 Supplement for HP Service Pack for ProLiant 2013.02.0 Release Notes:

“On the Source Selection screen, set the directories where the contents of the Supplement and the SPP (if needed) as repositories from where to get the components to be installed”

I understand that there is not a lot of information on the error and the full logs don’t have any more, but the problem seems to be that HPSUM is trying to install snmp-agents-9.30-2412.31.rhel5 and not the one for rhel6. Looking at the attached logsit looksit looks like all of the components it is trying to install are for RHEL5.

Is there any reason why it would do this?

Reply from Kim:

HP SUM 5.x requires the user to select the Red Hat Package Manager (rpms) which he wants to install. HP SUM 5.x does not filter rpms based on architecture or OS. So HPSUM presents ALL rpms in the repository as available for installation. If your customer does not what rhel5 rpms to be installed, he needs to make sure that they are not selected.

Any other input or comments?