BladeSystem - General
1748066 Members
5398 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

OA Virtual Serial Connection to Blade - How to Disconnect if OA link lost?

OA Virtual Serial Connection to Blade - How to Disconnect if OA link lost?

Hi, this is regarding an issue that one of my customers is seeing with Serial disconnects via OA, wondering if anyone has experience here or knows a way to enable this feature? Issue Description: In particular, we extremely heavy use of serial consoles. The BladeSystem OA os has support to do a pass through connection to the iLO of the blades and then fire up a virtual serial port: CONNECT SERVER SERIAL N, where N is the bay number. The issue is that there is no good way to disconnect from said virtual serial connection if you lose connectivity to the OA (network timeout, etc). The virtual serial connection will remain there until you either restart the oa or bounce the iLO port. Case in point, with the interconnect bay, you can do CONNECT INTERCONNECT N, and get a serial connection And CLEAR SESSION INTERCONNECT N However, there is no analogue to CLEAR SESSION for the iLO connectivity to the blades nor is there even a good way to reset the iLO on the blade (at least none that I have found). I have found 2 ways available only to blade enclosures (should we want to extend this to some of our other iLO-capable stand-alone machines we would no longer have these options): 1) RESTART OA -- sledgehammer approach 2) ENABLE EBIPA SERVER N, which requires that I first enter script mode in the OA (maybe this is the best I can do) In summary, am I missing something? Is there a better approach? We believe this is worthy of an RFE from HP engineering... Thank you for any thoughts.. Shawn