BladeSystem Management Software

Onboard Administrators on separate networks?

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Onboard Administrators on separate networks?

Jay had a question about putting OAs and iLO on separate networks:

I have some questions about OA and iLO on separate networks

When I config different VLAN ID for server iLO IP address . Can I access to server iLO through OA GUI? or I can  only access to server iLO through client within the same VLAN ?

For Example: When I set device bay 1-8 with VLAN tag 10 and device bay 9-16 with VLAN tag 20

Which VLAN shall I assign to the OA to ensure OA can communicate with all devices?

Monty replied:

The purpose of the OA VLAN feature is to allow OA, iLO or interconnects and their corresponding users to be isolated in different VLANs.

This isolation will prevent clients configured on one VLAN from accessing OA, iLO or interconnects on another VLAN.

Regardless of the VLAN configuration – the OA will be able to provide power and cooling support for all bays.

So in your example – the OA can be in either VLAN 10, VLAN 20 or a third VLAN and still provide power and cooling support for all bays.

But in that example a client on the OA VLAN will not be able to use the OA GUI link to an iLO on a different VLAN – because the client cannot access that VLAN.

Similarly, a client on the iLO VLAN will not be able to access an iLO nor the OA on a different VLAN.

In fact, if the OA is in a different VLAN than an iLO – the OA will only have basic information (server part number, serial number, model name) and will not have access to extended server information requiring TCP/IP access such as iLO logs or IML logs.

The OA User Guide contains instructions about using the VLAN feature.  Make sure if you have Virtual Connect modules in an enclosure that the OA and all VC modules must be in the same VLAN ID – including multiple enclosure VC domains.

Other questions or comments on what you do with your OA and iLO VLANs?