BladeSystem - General
1748198 Members
2656 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Service Pack for ProLiant (SPP) and Version Control Repository Mgr (VCRM) on Windows SIM server

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Service Pack for ProLiant (SPP) and Version Control Repository Mgr (VCRM) on Windows SIM server

Keith needed to work with VCRM at a customer:

Is there any documentation on how to deploy SPP via the VCRM interface.  Basically I have a customer that trying to manage PSP/SPP deployments to linux blades.  They have SIM and VCRM installed on a Windows CMS and need to understand what is required to deploy the SPP or Linux PSP through VCRM.  Is it even supported to deploy the SPP or PSP to a linux blade from a Windows CMS?

Chad replied:

You will need to manually upload the SPP into VCRM, it will not be downloaded automatically as of yet. I was just at a customer where we did this.

Comments or questions?

10 REPLIES 10
gxtoast
Occasional Advisor

Re: Service Pack for ProLiant (SPP) and Version Control Repository Mgr (VCRM) on Windows SIM server

As usual, poor documentation causes people to hunt and hunt and eventually ask in a forum. Shows that HP don't have a properly thought out deployment strategy for PSP and the new Service Packs. Otherwise information would be clear and well presented, which it isn't.
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

I do not agree with your statement.

The new SPP is just a bundle of the old PSP 8.70 package and firmware 9.30 DVD and some additional new critical updates. Before SPP existed, U could create the same already by combining the 2 repository directories together. I also was able without any problem to put the SPP inside my VCRM, indeed by uploading it manualy inside VCRM...

The only thing is that we are currently in a migration phase. Together with HP SUM (next gen we can say) there will be a new version of HP SIM where all the new tools are all integrated together... This is not a simple migration for HP since the next Gen8 servers are also announced somewhere begin 2012 and they must be supported also from the start...

I teach a lot of this stuff in my trainings on Proliant material, maybe you should follow a training with me on all this... Then U will see that there is a true vision of how it all fits together...

PS. no I do not work for HP...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
cltaylor2500

I was able to download the SPP files manually into my repository, however, I'm trying to make a custom baseline, and for Windows 2008 it works fine.  But we still have a lot of windows 2003 servers.  When I try making the baseline for windows 2003, it doesn't give me the option to select the SPP file for my foundation.....Again it works fine for 2008 but not 2003.....It would really be helpful if it worked for windows 2003....Any Ideas??

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

This is normal behaviour since the SPP supports only Windows 2008 and up, so no 2003 anymore...

For your 2003 server you will still need the latest PSP 8.70 inside your VCRM...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DaniyarS
Occasional Contributor

Hi, can you please precise how to manually upload SPP 2012 to HP SIM 7.0?

I copied SPP2012020.2012_0302.51.iso file to C:\repository  along with the existing SPP2011090.2011_0930.13.iso, in VCRM selected refresh, but it seems not being able to see the second ISO. Do I need to adjust XML somewhere or refresh two times?

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

U have to extract the ISO file... The ISO file itself will not be picked up...

Via the SMH Systems Management Homepage from the server where VCRM is running U can access the VCRM pages... There is the function to upload the SPP... Just browse to the directory where U extracted the SPP...

Kr,
Bart

DaniyarS
Occasional Contributor

I refer to http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03168954/c03168954.pdf which say you do not need to unpack iso.... Also in VCRM there is no function to upload spp, there  only upload Support pack...

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I never tried it (yet) to copy the ISO directly in the repository folder...

I extract the ISO and then via VCRM you can browse to the subfolder HP/SWpackages... That folder U can import directly into the VCRM...

Or U can copy the content of that folder into the Repository directory of VCRM and then trigger a populate of the repository again inside VCRM... I will try one of the days a copy of the ISO file...

Kr,

Bart

DaniyarS
Occasional Contributor

ok, thanks, it seems to be able to do upload when I unpack ISO and browse to hp/swpackages...