BladeSystem - General
1752681 Members
5276 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Upgrading "Older" OAs and Insight displays on older c7000 enclosures...

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Upgrading "Older" OAs and Insight displays on older c7000 enclosures...

Doug had a question on upgrading enclosures:

I just received this question from a partner, and I’m not sure where to go with it. Can anyone shed some light on this question?

“I have a customer that has two of the original C7000 enclosures with the OAs that don’t have VGA ports and have the smaller Insight Displays.  I seem to remember there was an upgrade path for customers a long time ago for them to switch out the OAs and upgrade the display, but I couldn’t find anything online.  Is this supported?   Can you just upgrade the OAs without upgrading the display?   I was also going to explore replacing the power supplies, but I’m not sure if there are any limitations of the original C7000.  I saw another article talking about a newer midplane that supported QDR that was not user upgradeable.  I want to know what I can and can’t do as far as upgrading the enclosure.”

Monty replied:

Both the c7000 original and KVM Onboard Administrator module designs are supported in all enclosures with all LCD modules. 

Any customer can purchase the optional OA with KVM to update an older c7000 OA, the OA with KVM has a faster CPU, a faster 1000BaseT/100BaseT Management Port and the VGA connector for Enclosure KVM. 

Any other comments or suggestions?