BladeSystem Management Software

management of blade revs of firmware

diespamer

Greets, our experience with an HP competitor is that all blades in a chassis must be at the same firmware rev. Now, suppose I have 10 blades up in production with SLAs that minimize down time for our customers, ie, downtime is simply unacceptable except for a once a month maintenance window. Further, suppose that the day after one of those maintenance windows, we want to add a blade with the latest and greatest revs. We now either have to wait a complete cycle of maintenance windows OR we break our SLAs and pay for downtime. To me, both are unaccptable. How does a sysadmin of an HP chassis and blades deal with this scenerio using both Microsoft and Redhat OSs? Thanks for any time you take to mull over my questions. Hope all is well with your and yours. -Die
2 REPLIES 2
John Cagle
Frequent Advisor

For HP c-Class, you are not required to have all blades at the same firmware revision. You can mix firmware revisions. However, it is always advised to run the latest firmware, but there is nothing in the c-Class chassis that requires that. Cheers, John
vcblades
Frequent Advisor

Atleast - OA firmware on the chassis , BiOS & iLo2 Firmware on the blade should match