1752272 Members
4649 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 1/10gb-f VC-enet module configuration

Armando_Lio
Occasional Contributor

1/10gb-f VC-enet module configuration

I have a C7000 with 16 blades, 2- 1/10gb-f VC-enet  and 1 Hp P2000 ISCSI 1000base-t controllers (8x1gb enet) 

I`m trying to use the 4 ports on each 1/10gb-f vc-enet cards to connect as a trunk to our cisco switch.. 

the switch is connected to our networks and the storage controllers. 

the OS on the blades is Win 2008 r2 64 bit. 

My problem:  I`m new to blades.  so I have some questions. 

- I only see 2 nics on the server and when I look at the server profile the HP virtual connect manager, only the 2 first networks are mapped to LOM:1 => bay 1 and LOM:2=. bay 2 the rest are "not mapped" 

Windows only has visibility to 2 network cards. (i have the HP drivers installed). 

Is this the expected behavior ? Why can`t I add networks to the profile and have them show as a new network card to the OS ?

All the cookbooks I found , are at least a year old... can`t seem to find nothing newer. 

What I would like to do, is present the VLans from the switch over the 4 trunked ethernet ports on the VC .. and to the OS each Vlan as a separate nics. 

The part that confuses me is that in some of the videos online and cookbooks, they show the 8 nics on the OS and they don't seem to have this "not mapped" legend on the VC manager. 

Patience and any help, greatly appreciated ! 

4 REPLIES 4
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi There,

You may use the Virtual Connect Network Setup wizard to configure your network.

Reference :

HP Virtual Connect for c-Class BladeSystem Setup and Installation Guide

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01732252/c01732252.pdf

HP Virtual Connect for c-Class BladeSystem Version 3.51

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03128009/c03128009.pdf

however, would be helpful if you Please provide more information:

what is Blade Server model?

How many NICs per blade?

What is the status of the network in Onboard administrator?

NIC and VC firmware?

else share Onboard Administrator show all report for me to understand your network.

thanks,

Aftab

If the information provided helpful. Click the Kudos Star! to recognise the same.
ITRC Style Sitemap.

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Armando_Lio
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your answer

the blades are  460g7

VC firmware is 3.18 2011-04-01T22:57:39Z

The real question is, can i divide the 2 nics on the 460s into 8 with the HP Virtual Connect 1/10Gb-F or i need to have a  VC Flex-10  module to take advantage of diving the 2 10gig nics in 8 ?

Thanks !

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You wil need the Flex10 or Flexfabric modules to divide the onboard NICs into 4 virtual NICs... This is not possible with the 1/10gb-f VC modules...

Kind regards,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi There,

that's correct, you need a Flex - 10 Virtual Connect module to take the advantage of flex nics (1 port provides 4 virtual nics)

take a look at the technology brief in HP Virtual Connect Flex-10 technology guide for more info:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01608922/c01608922.pdf

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Aftab

If the information provided helpful, Click star to give kudo!

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo