1753854 Members
7952 Online
108808 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 6120XG Blade switch in C7000 Enclosure not recognising inserted blade

ElisUKIT
Occasional Advisor

6120XG Blade switch in C7000 Enclosure not recognising inserted blade

We have a C7000 enclosure that has teo 6120XG blade switches, both of these have SFP+DA15 connections in ports 17+18.  The enclosure has 11 slots that connect to the blade switches without any issue.  

However when adding a blade into one of the other slots, the switch in interconnect bay 2 does not provide network to the switch.

Port Mapping on the Interconnect bay, within the webportal shows there is a connected blade.  However connecting to the management interface of the switch, there is nothing in the logs showing a connection and a 'show interface brief' command shows the interface as down.  Logging on the other switch shows a connection and the interface as up in the command line

Both switches have the same running configuration showing when show running config is sent, which shows no disabled port.

Is there another setting in the enclosure or switch that could be causing this anomally?  As it appears to be slot specific, rather than a total of blades plugged in.  I have relocated a blade, from a work slot to a faulty slot and can confirm it is not blade related.

Thank you for you assistance

Tatyana Saar,

Elis UK IT

11 REPLIES 11
frenchy94
Regular Advisor

Defective slot ?

--
L'absence de virus dans ce courrier ├йlectronique a ├йt├й v├йrifi├йe par le logiciel antivirus Avast.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
ElisUKIT
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for the reply

However, I initially thought that might be the case and moved the blade around the chassis.  Currently we are experiencing 5 slots with the same behaviour.  Which is why I thought it was a hidden configuration issue.

Cheers

frenchy94
Regular Advisor

Shall you run the latest firmware code for 6120 ?

Also did you try both : blade in faulting slot in slot OK and blade in slot
ok in faulting slot ?

To see if issue follow blade or slots ?

--
L'absence de virus dans ce courrier ├йlectronique a ├йt├й v├йrifi├йe par le logiciel antivirus Avast.
ElisUKIT
Occasional Advisor

I have tried with a blade that was working in this enclosure, in one of the 11 working slots, and a server from another enclosure that is working in that enclosure.  

Both of these have missing NICs, in each of the same 5 slots.  These are 4, 7, 9, 14 and 15 for reference.

Again these are all NICs that would be connecting to the second Blade switch

We have not upgraded the firmware, as the other blades are part of our production business environment.  Is the network load balanced across both blade switches and restarting one mean that no network connectivity would be lost?

Sorry if that last question is a bit basic, I have inherited support for these enclosures and details on configuration have not been kept.

frenchy94
Regular Advisor

Which kind of blades (half or full size) which kind of nic ?

--
ElisUKIT
Occasional Advisor

They are half size blades, all our blades are HP though

I have tried the following

HP Proliant BL460c G1 with HP NC373i

HP Proliant BL465c Gen8 with HP 554FLB

Both of these types of servers report the same issue when placed in one of the offending slots.

frenchy94
Regular Advisor

So

Port 1 is mapped on 6120 slot 1

Port 2 is mapped on 6120 slot 2

Now can you check if all port 1 are connected and only port 2 are
disconnected

--
ElisUKIT
Occasional Advisor

That is correct.  All blades connect to port 1.  However only 11 slots in the enclosure will connect to port 2. 

Slots 4, 7, 9, 14 and 15, connect to port 1 but not port 2

frenchy94
Regular Advisor

Is it in production ? any chance to change 6120 in slot 1 by 6120 in slot 2
to see follow slot (blackplane issue) or follow

6120 (module issue)

Should be firmware issue

Should be 6120 hardware issue (may try factory reset first)

Should be C7000 backplane issue

--