5922 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

CISCO 3120X Interconnect Question

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

CISCO 3120X Interconnect Question

Daniel had a customer question:

Can you confirm how to add 1G Uplinks to the CISCO 3120X Interconnect.  The Product Bulletin refers to a dual port X2 module but then the actual part appears to be only a single port.  So can you add 2 of these per X2 port?

Vincent answered the question:

With the switch you should get 2 Twin Gig converter modules. Each Twin Gig transforms one X2 port into two SFP ports into which you plug the part you mention (RJ-45 SFP Module) so the 2 X2 ports would give you 4 1Gb RJ-45 ports. Makes sense ?

Are you using the Cisco Twin Gig ports? They work okay?

3 REPLIES 3
chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Re: CISCO 3120X Interconnect Question

I also received this from Steve:

The Cisco 3120G has 4 copper RJ45 1Gb ports.  In addition, the two X2 ports (8 and 10 in the diagram) ship with a Twin Gig module installed. This will allow for the addition of up to 4 more 1Gb ports using either a copper or Fiber SFP. The X2 ports cannot be used for any other purpose on this module

The 3120X has 4 copper RJ45 1Gb ports. In addition, each of the two X2 ports (8 and 10 in the diagram) can be used for either 2 x 1Gb or one 10Gb uplink.

These also ship with the Twin Gig module installed.  Removing the Twin Gig and installing a 10Gb X2 module provides the 10Gb. Leaving in the Twin Gig and installing either a copper or Fiber SFP yields additional 1Gb connections.  In short the 3120G can have up to 8 1Gb uplinks. The 3120x can have up to eight 1Gb uplinks or four 1Gb uplinks and two 10Gb uplinks.

Stacking is provided via a totally different connector (#7 in the diagram) and uses Cisco proprietary connectors and cables.

Great info from Steve. But then that's his job and he does it well!

n_girish85
Occasional Collector

Hi,

i have a question on HP BLc Cisco 3120X 1/10GbE blade switch.

what is the maximum downlink connection speed that can be configured for each blade server in the c7000 chassis. suppose if i have 16 blade servers installed in a c7000 chassis and i have two  Cisco 3120X switch for redundancy. then is it possible to configure 10Gbps downlink to each blade server in the chassis so that the communication within the chassis blade servers gets 10Gbps bandwidth ??

Regards,

Girish 

Casper42
Respected Contributor

3120X is only 1Gb on the downlink.
Assuming you have a redundant pair you could get 2Gb aggregate but thats it.

The only Cisco native option for 10Gb down to the blade is the newer Nexus B22HP FEX module. But that requires an upstream Nexus 5000/5500 switch.

Or of course you can go with Virtual Connect or 6120XG