Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding the network interface on C7000 Enclosure and HP VirtualConnect

AlvinCruz
Occasional Contributor

Regarding the network interface on C7000 Enclosure and HP VirtualConnect

Hi All,

I got some questions regarding network interface for my Blade BL460c G7, currently it is mounted on C7000 Enclosure with HP Virtual Connect Flex-10 10Gb Ethernet module. Now my question here is that, I've installed a Linux CentOS on this Blade BL460c G7.

If I issue the command, ethtool -i eth0 in which will show the current firmware driver of the ethernet interface.

=================================

ethtool -i eth0

driver: be2net
version: 2.104.277.1
firmware-version: 3.702.517.701
bus-info: 0000:02:00:0

=================================

Now my question are below:

1. Does the output of the command pertains to the NIC firmware on the Blade BL460c G7 itself or the Network interface on the Virtual Connect?

2. Does my Blade BL460c G7 has its own Network Interface to communicate to the HP Virtual Connect module?

3. If I am going to upgrade the network interface shown on the output above, are we talking about the NIC on the blade itself and not on the HP VirtualConnect module?

2 REPLIES
AlvinCruz
Occasional Contributor

Re: Regarding the network interface on C7000 Enclosure and HP VirtualConnect

Any experts would like to help me here?

MBSNL
Advisor

Re: Regarding the network interface on C7000 Enclosure and HP VirtualConnect

#1. You run the command towards an "eth" interface, so you get feedback from driver/firmware of that interface. I am not aware that there is a posibility to access/query the Virtual Connect module on the status of the Virtual Connect module while talking to a NC5xx FlexNIC of the Blade Server. This is fully isolated.
Note however that the output of your command seems to be wrong: "firmware-version: "3.702.517.701". Looking at the Reference Guides, the firmware version can only be "3.102.517.701"

#2. Don't know. This config is pushed to the NIC during Power-On of the Blade Server. I can imagine this is happing during the POST of the server where Virtual Connect, BIOS of Server Blade and NIC are communicating using a proprietary non documented protocol. However, it might be using the Physical "eth" interfaces, not visible in OS during Flex mode to push/pull the config, because I know from expierence the Virtual Connect can remove the NIC config while the server is powered on (BUG).

#3. NIC. But I think you are already at the latest version.