BladeSystem - General
1748204 Members
3282 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 1716-Slot 0 Drive Array Unrecoverable Media Errors prevent BL460c G6 from booting

SOLVED
Go to solution
panos45
Occasional Contributor

1716-Slot 0 Drive Array Unrecoverable Media Errors prevent BL460c G6 from booting

hello experts,

I'm trying to start a 12-year-old accounting server c3000 enclosure, 3X BL460 G6 blades + P2000 storage running server 2003 R2, Oracle and SAP) that was put in storage 5 years ago. 

We succeeded to start all three servers and had 1716-slot 0 errors but despite the error, the servers proceeded to boot and the local disks (raid 1) were visible.

After fixing the p2000 storage problems two of the servers that form a cluster do not boot anymore. After displaying the 1716-slot 0 warning, as before, they try to boot from NIC. DHCP.\ is displayed. The third blade, not part of the cluster, has no problems booting. I have all passwords, iLO is working and I have the KVM cable but not the Server 2003 original CD ROMs. 

Please help, we need access to some old accounting data (SAP system running on the cluster, I'm sure.

Thank you in advance

Panos

7 REPLIES 7
support_s
System Recommended

Query: 1716-Slot 0 Drive Array Unrecoverable Media Errors prevent BL460c G6 from booting

panos45
Occasional Contributor

Re: Query: 1716-Slot 0 Drive Array Unrecoverable Media Errors prevent BL460c G6 from booti

Thank you for the prompt answer. I checked and although we have the P410i controller (with zero RAM) our HDDs are newer than the ones mentioned with firmware either D5 or DD, so this upgrade is not for our case. BTW I do not know how well maintained and regularly upgraded was this system since the accounting was responsible and no records are found. 
Later I might be able to check them after I've resolved the urgent problem.

techin
Super Advisor

Re: Query: 1716-Slot 0 Drive Array Unrecoverable Media Errors prevent BL460c G6 from booti

@panos45 ,

Problem resolved?

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hello,

You may refer to the "POST Error Messages and Beep Codes" document to see if the issue is resolved.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

panos45
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Re: 1716-Slot 0 Drive Array Unrecoverable Media Errors prevent BL460c G6 from booting

Problem partially solved as it was caused by the loss of the BIOS when I changed the batteries. After chasing to press the F8 button at the exact millisecond I succeeded to start one of the servers. I'm sure the others have exactly the same problem.

Thank you for your support.

Panos 

BPSingh
HPE Pro

Greetings!

For the 1716-Slot 0 Drive Array Unrecoverable Media Errors the storage logs needs to be checked. 

Some drives in the RAID may have excessive read/write error and may have to be replaced. Sometimes these error hinders in RAID rebuild process as well. 

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
panos45
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, the issue has been resolved. The cause was the replacement of the
dead cmos battery. Since the servers were not holding the time-date I
wrongly assumed they were dead already so replacing them would have no
effect. But it did. They were keeping the BIOS alive but could not power
the RTC. Replacing them erased the BIOS and the boot order. Now I can face
the next problem.

--
best regards

Panos Kontogiannis