108758 Solutions
New Discussion

BL460 G6 "Unsupported cache battery"

SOLVED
Go to solution
David Orwig
Regular Advisor

BL460 G6 "Unsupported cache battery"

I have a BL460c G6 (one of many) that shows a POST code of 1748 and also reports in to SIM with "batteryNotSupported". The correct battery IS  installed and actually a new battery with the correct part number was also installed (462976-001) and no change. I even installed a similar battery with the incorrct part number just to switch things up , but no change.

BIOS is up to date (2011.12.02)

Array firmware is up to date (6.00B)

Any ideas short of switching out the system board?

6 REPLIES 6
LouisH
Valued Contributor

Re: BL460 G6 "Unsupported cache battery"

David,

My first thought would be to remove the battery all together, boot up system, then power down prior to actually booting to disks. Install new (correct) battery then power on and boot second time letting server come up all the way. If you have POST screen enabled, on the first boot, a warning would have been displayed during the Smart array Controller message after scanning for logical drives for battery missing or dead. On the second boot, the message would show for battery is low (unless charged fully).

Another option is to downgrade Array controller firmware to previous version, maybe 1 rev back, reboot and see if problem still exists. If it does then contact HP for replacement.

Make sure you have a backup of server before any work on Array controller, just in case.

Good luck,

Louis

PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

Please be sure that You are using BBWC and not FBWC, because they are using different batteries. Can you attach an ACU report here please.

thanks

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
David Orwig
Regular Advisor

It is definitely a BBWC and not a FBWC and it is a battery and not a capacitor. (Don't all FBWC use caps now?)

David Orwig
Regular Advisor

Here's what I've tried so far:

Boot with different battery AND cable (known good) - no change .

Boot with no battery / cable - no change.

Different BBWC without battery - message cleared!

Added known good battery / cable  (booting with known good rplacement battery / BBWC / cable.) - message back!

Next step will be back rev-ing the firmware, gonna try 5.70

David Orwig
Regular Advisor
Solution

Back-reving to 5.70 made the message go away permanently. But being not completely satisfied with that as a solution, I upgraded back to 6.00b (the latest) so that it would be in alignment with all my other 460 G6's.

I upgraded on Friday and have no issues throughout the weekend. Looks like it's fixed. Corrupt firmware image in NVRAM?

Anyhow, case closed.

LouisH
Valued Contributor

David,

Glad you were successful. Interesting that  flashing to the current image fixed the problem. What was the version prior to the update being applied originally (5.70)? And was the F/W image to current rev. a new download?

Louis