New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL460c G1 - Bad hard drive..?

SOLVED
Go to solution
rventura
Frequent Advisor

BL460c G1 - Bad hard drive..?

Hello,

I have 4 blades and 1 of them has a red light flashing on the front face of one of its hard drives. It is using the blade's internal array to provide redundancy, but i was wondering if there was anyway for me to check if it's bad or not.

The blade is running Citrix XenServer and i cannot find anything in the logs that says that the HDD has gone bad, this could be because the array is a hardware array then presented to the OS. I then proceeded to boot into the array configuration and the screen shows both hard drives with "OK", however, the status says "RECOVERING".

Just wanted to make sure it was bad before calling support and ordering a new part.

Also, once i get the new part, is there anything in particular i need to do or is it as simply as replacing the drive and letting the array do it's own thing?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,

if you want more details and you cannot install ACU - array configuration utility - or ADU - array diagnostic utility - on your dom0 (or physical machine, not one of the vms) - then you can boot the server on the smartstart CD and through that view the array status. I believe it gives quite a bit more information than the one available in the POST.

To replace a disk in a smart array controller you just need to replace it, rebuild will start automagically.

If the array is recovering now, then supposedly a disk lost connection and came back. Doesn't have to be a bad drive, could be something with the controller or connectors as well.
rventura
Frequent Advisor

I downloaded the smartstart ISO and confirmed that the drive was bad using ADU...

Thanks