1752567 Members
5464 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: BL460c Gen9 dimms showing as Present, Unused

Kerry Quillen
Regular Advisor

BL460c Gen9 dimms showing as Present, Unused

I have a BL460c Gen9 populated with 16 16gb dimms.  I noticed in vcenter that it was only showing 128gb of ram.  I checked dimms in the ILO interface System Information page and found that 8 of the dimms have a status of "Present, Unused" (see attached screenshot).  Two of those are also not identified as HPE SmartMemory.  One is HPE Standard Memory even though it shows same part number as the SmartMemory and one just says NO.  What would cause dimms to show up as "Present, Unused"?  I have another blade that is identical in every way and the dimms show as "Good, In Use".  Oddly, Oneview reports 256gb ram on the blade.

This is at a remote location so I have not had achance t pull and inspect the dimms.  So far all I have done is reseat the blade via the e-fuse.

7 REPLIES 7
slavtechbuer
Valued Contributor

Hi there 

Can you make sure that your ILO is 2.61 ? And check again.

Ypu also can try to istall Inteligent Provisioning version 2.50.

Thanks

Slav

Kerry Quillen
Regular Advisor

ILO is at 2.61.  I upgraded Inteligent Provisioning to 2.70B.  The memory inventory in ILO System Info page looks a little different now and Vcenter now shows 192gb ram.  Gen9 dimm error2.jpg

ronissac
Trusted Contributor

HI, 

Please make the BIOS is at Version:2.64_10-17-2018 

If the BIOS is already at the latest , Try swapping the DIMM modules to a different slot to isolate if the issue follows the DIMM module or the DIMM slot.

For any further queries, Kindly log a support case with HPE by following the below linkhttps://support.hpe.com/portal/site/hpsc/scm/submitCase

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! Thumbs below!

Regards 

Ronny

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
ronissac
Trusted Contributor

HI , 

Please let know if this issue got resolved . This will help everyone who are following this thread

Regards

Ronny

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Kerry Quillen
Regular Advisor

Upgrading to the latest firmware did not help.  I also see this durng POST:JIC104 POST.jpg

I will go onsite asap and checkthe dimm.  This server is no longer under maintenance so I can't open a support case

ronissac
Trusted Contributor

HI , 

the IML reports invalid Memory configuration.

Request you to simulate you memory specification in the below tool and check for any discrepancies

https://memoryconfigurator.hpe.com/ddr4memoryconfig/home/legal 

[Moderator edit: The above link is no longer valid. You may refer the https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c05241098&docLocale=en_US]

Regards

Ronny

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Kerry Quillen
Regular Advisor

I finally pulled the dimms and verified that they are all identical.  I ran the memory configurator as suggested and it verified I hve the right config.

I swapped all dimms between Proc 1 and 2.  The dimm that showed as Standard Memory and the one that showed as not being HPE memory at all moved with this.  I then pulled those 2 dimms hoping it might clear things up but not luck.  Still seeing:  During POST only 128gb ram is shown.  Vcenter shows 128gb ram.  ILO System->Memory tab showed 224gb ram but 6 dimms show Present, Unused. 

I then swapped all memory between this server and another and the issue stayed with the server.  Obviously a motherboard issue.  Cleared nvram but it made no difference.