Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
BladeSystem Server Blades
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BL460c Gen9 won't boot with E5-2699v3 processors and 384GB of RAM

serverscott
Collector

BL460c Gen9 won't boot with E5-2699v3 processors and 384GB of RAM

I am upgrading the memory in my BL460c Gen9 blade with two E5-2699v3 processors installed.  Because of these processors, the server has the wider heat sinks installed, which block the use of DIMM slots 4&5 (so only 12x DIMM slots available).  I need to get to 384GB of RAM in this server, so I am using 12x 32GB 4Rx4 LR PC4-17000 DIMMs (DDR4).  When I try to boot with all of the available DIMM slots populated, the server hangs on the boot-up.  Since this configuration breaks the normal DIMM population rules, is there a setting I need to change in order to get this to work?  It says that 384GB of RAM is supported in this server with the wider heatsinks installed, but I just can't seem to get it to work.

Any information is greatly appreciated.