4018 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

BL660c Gen8 Array question

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

BL660c Gen8 Array question

Jose had a server array question:

I have a customer who has a BL660c Gen8 blade server with two 300GB drives running Solaris. Drive 2 was replaced by the customer and the array didn’t rebuild the drive. Support had then run CPQONLIN to check the array. They are not able to shut down the server anytime soon and trying to find out if there are any commands to use with CPQONLIN to enable Logical drive 2? System health sees the drive as OK but the logical volume is failed. I know we can reboot the server and select to option to enable the volume on POST but trying to minimize having to reboot the server.

From Hoa:

Prolaint server almost always come with a SA controller. From first power on, the SA will create a RAID 1 for you by default when detecting 2 hard drives in the system unless you reject that option.     I see customer take that RAID 1 set says 300GB to form 2 logical drives.   Fast forward, one day 1 drive in RAID 1 set failed, replaced drive can't rebuild.   If your customer logical drives equal to RAID 1 set total then this is the case.   Why can't replaced drive rebuild?   Because the remaining good drive has errors that the SA unwilling to replicate or able to mirror that data, as I have seen time to time.   If this is your case, then back up remaining drive's data, shutdown server, delete the array, create new RAID 1 set, restore from backup.   I am not sure we have Array Diagnostics Utility for Solaris or not, if we do, capture ADU report to confirm whether you must replace the "working drive" with errors before create new RAID 1.

From Richard:

If they want to recover the lost disk without downtime, they can install the hpacucli for Solaris, use it to delete the old failed logical volume, recreate a new RAID 0 volume on the new drive and then use Solaris Volume Manager to rebuild the software based mirror.

If hpacucli does not recognise, or refuses to work with, the new disk, i.e. will not create a new raid 0 volume, then look at upgrading the version of the Smart Controller driver. If they have to use the Smart Controller ORCA, the steps are the same as above. I'm guessing this solution is in a telecoms/mobile telephony provider. I'm afraid I don't have the Solaris skills, or much experience with hpacucli to help you with the detail of the commands to achieve this.

From Dan:

Well a single drive raid 0 is a lost cause from a logical volume perspective. 

If that's really how it's configured:

1 drive in Array B with Logical B @ R0

Then I would just drop the Logical B and Array B and then create new ones based on the new drive.

Comments or questions?