1753482 Members
4108 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

BL8x0c i2 embedded P410i RAID MODE & System board replacement

feeble
Valued Contributor

BL8x0c i2 embedded P410i RAID MODE & System board replacement

Here's the skinny. I wasn't involved with this, but now we need a solution. We had a bl860c i2 that we add another CPU and memory. The system failed and it the issue ended up being the system board. If you've worked with the bl8x0c i2 server, you know that means a chassis replacement. The P410i controller is embedded on the system board. We use RAID MODE on the controllers. The SA that was wirking with HP, put the new drives in system and booted up thinking all the array config info was no the disk. Not so. The controller is still in HBA mode, but was able to boot off the disk. There is an error in ssylog, but other than that the system is running. The error is this:

ia64dsk: The disk for dev_t d000009 appears to have grown since the partition table was written.

Anyway, I think we may be up a creek without a paddle. NOt sure just yet. My thought is that we shut the system down and pull the drives. Then we set the hba in raid mode. Once that is complete. Shut it down again and put the drives in. My assumption is that some of the raid config data is on the drives, but it can only be accessed when the array is in RAID MODE. If you have ever been in this situation, or have any useful info. I would appreciate the comments.

3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: BL8x0c i2 embedded P410i RAID MODE & System board replacement

Hopefully you don't loose your data!

Booting RAID drives in HBA mode may delete the data.

Reboot now into EFI mode and use saupdate to set the controller into RAID mode.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Ralf Seefeldt
Valued Contributor

Hi,

on older Firmware (somwhere before spring 2011), enabeling RAID would result in losing al data onboth disks.

With newer Firmware, you will be asked if you want to keep the content of one of the involved disks.

I don't know, whether your suggestions ar feasible. They sound so.

Probably, you may try a vgmodify -vEra. (It does not change anything as long as you don't leave away the -r option)

Anyhow, first of all, create a backup and be sure that you can boot from that backup or create a bootable disk. (Do you have HP drd (dynamic root disk) ? )

bye

Ralf

S_Logan
HPE Pro

Hi

>> ia64dsk: The disk for dev_t d000009 appears to have grown since the partition table was written

Partition Layout need to be corrected using idisk command

HTH

S_Logan

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]