Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
BladeSystem Server Blades
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blade core assignment and licensing with Oracle

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Blade core assignment and licensing with Oracle

Fredy had a CPU core licensing question:

Let me apologize in advance for posting a question that most likely does not belong on this community.

I just don’t know where to ask. A customer has a Blade with 12 cores (2 six core CPU’s) and only has an 8 Core CPU license for Oracle and ARCsight.

Will this work, can the cores be somehow assigned to this software licenses???

From Keith:

Hi Fred, for licensing purposes, Oracle only recognize the following approaches to licensing less than the physically installed cores in an x86 server:

Use of Solaris containers i.e. install the Solaris x86 opsys on the 12-core server, and run Oracle in an 8-core container.

Use of Oracle VM with a capped guest i.e. install Oracle VM as a hypervisor on the 12-core server, install a guest opsys (choice of Linux, Solaris, Windows) with 8 vCPUs and run Oracle in it.

Any other approach requires all physically installed x86 cores in the server, to be licensed.

Any other comments or suggestions for Fredy?