Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
BladeSystem Server Blades
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G7 Blades in original C7000 Enclosure?

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

G7 Blades in original C7000 Enclosure?

Fedy aksed a blades server compatibiliy question:

Quick one: will all the new G7 blades work OK in the original C7000 (with small insight display) and C3000 enclosure?

We had a couple of answers:

First was Lawrence: 

Hi Fredy,

I would imagine that it would be OK.  There is no physical restriction, and the display size of the original enclosure should have no bearing on the blade inserted.  Whilst I have not tested this, I have tried a BL460cG6 in an original C7000 and it was fine.

As a side note, if you have VC, you should consider upgrading the VC firmware to 3.10, as this supports the new G7 blades.

From the VC firmware version 3.10 download pages:

Enhancements/New Features:
     •Support for HP ProLiant BL 460c G7 server. 
     •Support for HP NC522m Dual Port Flex-10 10GbE Multifunction BL-c Adapter.
     •Removed VCM requirement for Primary/Secondary VC Interconnect modules to be placed in I/O bays 1 and 2.
     •Support for Brocade 804 8Gb FC hBA for HP BladeSystem c-Class.
     •Provides the ability to display Fibre Channel and Ethernet port statistics via the VCM CLI.

Problems Fixed:
     •Dot1dBasePortMTUExceededDiscards incrementing even with jumbo frames enabled.

Then David in Product Management chimed: 

Hello Fredy,

The G7 blades are 100% compatible with the c3000 and c7000 enclosures.

Good news! Any other comments?

1 REPLY
chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Re: G7 Blades in original C7000 Enclosure?

Monty wanted to make sure the Onboard Administrator was at the right version:

The OA firmware version required to support G7 blades in any c3000 or c7000 enclosure is OA v3.11.

Thanks Monty!