BladeSystem - General
1748181 Members
3844 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Gen9 blades have a removable NAND flash - what's the part number?

SOLVED
Go to solution
PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

Gen9 blades have a removable NAND flash - what's the part number?

Gen 8 and Gen9 servers (Proliants and Blades) can develop a irreparable problem with the ILO flash chip. On the Gen8 servers, the flash chip is soldered to the mainboard, so the whole board must be replaced.

I have seen now that the BL460 Gen9 has a pluggable module with that flash chip on it. This could be changed easily.... but there is no prt number on it. It also does not appear in the spare parts list.

Does someone know how to get this NAND flash/SD-Card module??
Everyone talks about protecting the environment.... replacing a whole mainboard while a pluggable spare part is available seems wrong to me.

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"
10 REPLIES 10
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Gen9 blades have a removable NAND flash - what's the part number?

If you are refereng to the highligted area in this image, this is a ┬╡SD slot, not the iLO NAND

BL460 SD slot 1.jpg

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

Hi Jimmy

Yes and No. This is the Micro-SD module..... and on the backside of that module is the iLO flash chip.

At least this was the case on the Gen8 blades. Unfortunately on Gen8 it was soldered to the mainboard and very difficult to change. I fixed one board with the infamous iLO flash error by replacing that module.

Now on the Gen9 blades it has a socket, makes it easy to fix.... but only if the module is available somehow.

Chris

Kashyap02
HPE Pro

Hi

ILO Chip / NAND Flash is not a repalcable part. If you are mentioning about any other part you have replaced, please specify with part number.

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

Well... on the Gen9 boards it is replacable because it has a connector and can be plugget out. The problem is that there is no spare part number on it.

This probably means that it is not available as a spare part  but that's quite a bit silly. To make a frequently failing part pluggable but not providing it as a spare part.... Why do I have to replace the whole board when only that chip has failed?

Kashyap02
HPE Pro

We still do not have a spare part number for this and We do not ship this part separately. This is as per the design.

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

Too bad....

At the end that means if this iLO flash chip is broken (and that happens quite often) we have to replace the whole board, even if it is on a pluggable module that could be replaced easily...

Sometimes I do not understand company politics. Especially in times when environment protection is a top issue.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: Gen9 blades have a removable NAND flash - what's the part number? P08035-001

see

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-a00060052en_us&docLocale=en_US

MicroSD card reader, spare part number  P08035-001

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

Re: Gen9 blades have a removable NAND flash - what's the part number? P08035-001

Torsten to the rescue...! As always a brilliant answer. That was more than I expected.

I knew that HP must be aware of the problem. It only takes a while before these information gets to the end customer.
I found another solution for this problem. A company here can replace the flash chip for $60.... I already ordered 25 chips and the next board that fails will be repaired.
For Gen8 this is not a solution because the whole BL460 board can be bought for $50. Although an used board can have a bad chip too...

PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

In a nutshell:

- HPE does supply this module since November 2018
- The spare part number is P08035-001 for BL460/WS460/XL230/XL250 servers
- For XL450 servers it is  P09242-001

- More information is in the document link by Torsten (see above)