108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HD options new blades.

SOLVED
Go to solution
infonull
Occasional Advisor

HD options new blades.

Hey all. Just purchased a bunch of new blades (second hand, new for me).

I have received them and they are not seeing the HD's. No lights or anything. When I remove the cover, I can see nothing is connected to the HD backplane (not sure if thats what you call it)

I can see there is no Smart controller hardware on top or any cables to it or anything.

Just need to know what my options are? don't care about speed or raid, only takes me 10 mins to reclone to any new hd. I am fairly new to this. Just need cheapest option to be able to see hd's.

Thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7
Jags_21
HPE Pro

Hi,

All HPE Blades have an integrated storage controller by default supporting RAID 0 or RAID 1, please search the support.hpe.com portal for more details on the model you own

Thanks,

Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Without the exact model nobody can help you.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
infonull
Occasional Advisor

Oh boy, I can't believe I forgot that, sorry, BL460c gen9. Thanks for the replies too. Please correct me if I am wrong then, but after looking at details of the Gen9, I think I need to buy a cable that will connect the backplane of the hard drive caddy to the internal sata port? Is this correct? Also does that mean I cannot use my sas drives? They seem to push into the caddy OK, albeit a bit tight, and they stick out a bit.

Thanks again,

Jono

BPSingh
HPE Pro
Solution

Greetings!

I think I need to buy a cable that will connect the backplane of the hard drive caddy to the internal sata port?

Yes, if neither the HPE Smart Array P244br nor the HPE H244br controllers are installed then yes a SATA cable would be required to connect to onboard B140i controller. 

https://partsurfer.hpe.com/ShowPhoto.aspx?partnumber=784961-001 

Page# 73 https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c04410341&docLocale=en_US 

The port to connect is item 14 on page number 69. 

-> Please ensure the server BIOS boot mode is UEFI, HP Dynamic Smart Array B140i Controller is not supported in Legacy mode.
-> Ensure that the RAID controller is enabled in BIOS. Steps below:

From the System Utilities screen (F9), select System Configuration тЖТ BIOS/Platform Configuration (RBSU) тЖТ System Options тЖТ SATA Controller Options тЖТ Embedded SATA Configuration тЖТ
Enable HPE Dynamic Smart Array RAID Support, and then press the Enter key. Press the F10 key to save your selection.

If RAID is not desired then set it to enable SATA AHCI Support.

-> B140i controller do not support SAS drives, only SATA drives are supported. Supported SATA drives listed on server quickspecs:

https://www.hpe.com/psnow/doc/c04347343?jumpid=in_lit-psnow-red 

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
infonull
Occasional Advisor

Wow, that is an amazing reply. Thanks so much, that is everything I needed to know, and thanks for taking the time to be so thorough.

Jono

infonull
Occasional Advisor

Sorry to revisit this, but can someone tell me if the referenced cable (here), does power as well as data? Or is there another cable I need to get power to the drives?

This is what my blade looks like atm: Clipboard01.jpg

In the documentation, I can see another something else there that the sata cable connects to:

temp.jpg

Thanks in advance

Jono

sgunelius
Trusted Contributor

By the way, in your image the drive displayed below the server isn't compatible with the BL460c Gen9.  That drive release lever is pretty distinctive and that drive only compatible with previous generations of the ProLiant Blade (G1, G5, G6 & G7) and though they may be SAS or SATA drives, the interface is completely different, which is why it probably isn't flush with the server face when inserted.

Drives for Gen8-10 should look like this:

881457-B21_84fd1739-15f5-46a1-b404-0c95976edb20_2048x2048.jpg

Here's a video from HPE's support port that illustrates drive replacement and what those drives should look like:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/videoDisplay?videoId=vpsg00000868en_us

Scott