5690 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

HP bl460c G7 boot issue

mraas24
Occasional Visitor

HP bl460c G7 boot issue

Hi everybody,

i use a CentOS-5.6 LiveCD for network analysis, until now without issues on HP bl460c G7 servers. But after removing the SD-Card from the embedded card reader the server is not bootable anymore. With the mounted SD-Card the boot from the CentOS-5.6 LiveCD works without issues.

Boot of other Linux based Live CD works.

Error message:

###
WARNING: Cannot find root file system!

Create symlink /dev/root and then exit this shell to continue
the boot sequence
###

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
mraas24
Occasional Visitor

Re: HP bl460c G7 boot issue

bump

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: HP bl460c G7 boot issue

The only similar issues I've seen regarding the SD Card are:

1. You load a Linux Distro to local hard drives while the SD card is in and the boot partition gets put on it.  Taking the card out renders the system un-bootable since there is no boot partition telling it what to do.

2. Trying to load Windows 2008 R2 (not sure about other Windows OS's) while the card is inserted causes the Windows Installer to fail while looking for disks to install on.

The only way around this that I know of is to disable the Legacy USB support since the SD Reader is on that bus. Now while this would not "fix" your issues, it might lead you to figuring out what the root cause is.

The only problem with disabling the Legacy USB support is that you will lose remote keyboard and mouse control as that ilo functionality is also on the same bus.  You'd need a physical keyboard/monitor attached to the dongle connected to the blade to troubleshoot.

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)