108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP c7000 BL460c with Redhat 5.4 installation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Zen1988
Occasional Advisor

HP c7000 BL460c with Redhat 5.4 installation

Refer to the title, can someone please tell me what I need to do. After I format the Redhat 5 to 6 last time for testing, when I try to downgrade to Redhat 5, its seem cannot boot, and stuck at GNU GRUB 0.97 screen. When I try type the boot loader command ,  "root", it return me unknown partition type. 

So, I reboot the blade, and press F10 for the system setup. I erase the boot disk. After that I try format again Redhat5, and try access, it stuck at try boot from harddrive. Please advice. 

hp_redhat.png

7 REPLIES 7
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Probably something still in the disks MBR. Try rebooting and recreate the raid, F8 when loading raid controller during boot (remove current array and build new one). You will need to press any key to see when the server loads bioses for nics, ilo and raid controller.

Zen1988
Occasional Advisor

I found out its not writen to the disk, even though the process (format) seem to be complete, but when I attempt to rescue, it say cannot detect my linux installation, and when I try to format again, I pick use free space to create default partition, and the free space still matching. 

About the raid just now, we are not using raid, but I do configure Virtual connect technology, I new in HP, please advice.  

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

You must configure RAID on a BL460 or the OS will not see a disk. Even if you only have one disk you still must run ACU or ORCA and create a logical drive. Also during the install select review and modify the partition settings and see what device the install is being landed on. Look at the advanced bootloader settings and see what device the bootloader is installing on

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Zen1988
Occasional Advisor

The problem is I do see the disk when I try to format, Then I select review custom layout, I check the free space do match, here is the screen shot during the time I format to CentOS 5 (Its face the same problem as Redhat 5). Maybe the system setup, or this is SAN storage problem?

About Advanced boot loader, you mean from RHEL perspective or HP, I print screen the HP boot order, and boot controller to youbootcontrollerorder.pngstandardbootorder.png

Zen1988
Occasional Advisor

centos5.png

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Notice the disk type is "HP P2000 G3 FC"? You're seeing a FibreChannel disk over the QLogic HBAs. If you have both HBA ports connected, /dev/sda and /dev/sdb are likely to be two separate paths leading to the same FC disk/LUN.

If you boot the installer with "linux mpath" boot option, it should activate multipathing and you'd most likely see a single /dev/mapper/mpath0 disk device instead of /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. That would be the correct way to install the system to boot over SAN, should you want to do that.

MK
Zen1988
Occasional Advisor

Ya, thanks, it solve my problem, thanks alot..