7276 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HPE Smart Array P816i-a SR Gen10

mskarthik
Occasional Contributor

HPE Smart Array P816i-a SR Gen10

HI Team, 

We have HPE Smart Array P816i-a SR on Gen10 DL 380 server , In this  Controller Mode: Mixed it was assinged default. This controller operates in mixed mode which combines RAID and HBA operations simultaneously. Disks naming are getting chagned, getting confusion while do the automat installation. My question is , any way to change the controller mode to RAID mode instead of Mixed mode on tn this controller. There is CLI command to change but didnt work for me and throughs error. 

ctrl slot=1 port CN0 modify portmode=raid

=========================================

Error: This operation is not supported with the current configuration. Use the

"show" command on devices to show additional details about the

configuration.

Reason: Not supported

==========================

Anyone can help me in this. 

4 REPLIES 4
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

AFAIK these controllers are always in this mixed (hybrid) mode.

Any drive that is not a member of a logical drive or assigned as a spare is presented to the operating system. This occurs by default without any user intervention. Logical drives are also presented to the operating system.
Controllers that support mixed RAID and HBA mode have the ability to reduce the number of controllers in the system and efficiently use drive bays within a backplane. As an example, a solution that needs all of the drives presented as HBA with the exception of a two-drive mirror for boot support can be accomplished with a single controller attached to a single backplane.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
mskarthik
Occasional Contributor

Hi Torsten, 

Thanks for your update. So there is no option to change the controller mode from Mixed mode to Raid Mode in the latest controller. ? am i right ? 

DragosT

Hello,

Did you succeed to find a solution? I'm having the same issue and i cannot change the portmode.  

Also i didn't find aa way to fake the bus types at OS level.

=> controller slot=0 port 1I modify portmode=raid

Error: This operation is not supported with the current configuration. Use the
"show" command on devices to show additional details about the
configuration.
Reason: Not supported

HPE Smart Array P816i-a SR Gen10

Driver : 100.62.0.64

Firmware Version: 1.66-0

thank you 

DragosT

Hello,

My problem was related to a widows storage pool, which was automatically taken by Windows Failover Cluster and moved from Storage Spaces storage subsystem to Clustered Storage Spaces - an aggressive method of the cluster of taking available storage ...  

On my side I’ve found an workaround by presenting the RAID volume to Windows Storage pool as a RAID bus instead of SAS by changing this registry key - the key is related to the driver used by this specific controller  HPE Smart Array P816i-a SR Gen10 which is SmartPqi driver. On your side you could identify the driver from Device Manager.

Based on the controller driver search its name on this registry location   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SmartPqi\Parameters

Change the BusType from hexadecimal to hexadecimal 8  (value taken from other dell controller where the bus is presented as RAID)

«BusType»=0x00000008 (instead of 0x0000000a)

Reboot the machine 

After this operation the volume or the disks connected to this controller will be presented as RAID bus.

There is a high risk by doing this change in a production environment from this layer and most probably after a driver update or some registry recovery action this value might be overwritten.

Would be much easier if we would have this bus type change available from ssacli.exe . 

Regards